Taxi Licensing Central Authority for London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leoc

I know that Hackney Carriages and their drivers are licensed by a dept of TfL but if I wanted to make a complaint about unsafe driving who would I address it to? Anyone have any experience please?

spen666

Legendary Member
leoc said:
I know that Hackney Carriages and there drivers are licensed by a dept of TfL but if I wanted to make a complaint about unsafe driving who would I address it to? Anyone have any experience please?

Sir Ian Blair,
New Scotland Yard
London SW1

or alternatively your local police station or the one local to the incident

It is a police issue, not a TfL one

OP
OP
leoc

leoc

I was hoping that there was an equivalent to writing to a bus company or courier firm to let them know details of one of their drivers behaving in an irresponsible manner. Basically, the cab repeatedly passed me close and fast in windy wet whether making me feel threatened. You know the kind of driving that you think someone is purposely trying to scare you, that's why I made a mental note of the number plate. I'm not sure that this is the basis for a complaint to the police though, what evidence could I cite?

spen666

Legendary Member
leoc said:
I was hoping that there was an equivalent to writing to a bus company or courier firm to let them know details of one of their drivers behaving in an irresponsible manner. Basically, the cab repeatedly passed me close and fast in windy wet whether making me feel threatened. You know the kind of driving that you think someone is purposely trying to scare you, that's why I made a mental note of the number plate. I'm not sure that this is the basis for a complaint to the police though, what evidence could I cite?

What evidence?

exactly what you have told us here.

Even if TfL were the relevant authority, they could do nothing if the police couldn't.

What do you expect? You can't expect them to discipline someone on the basis of no evidence (or insufficient evidence) To expect otherwise would be to encoourage anyone with a grievance to make complaints truthful or not against taxi drivers they do not like.

There needs to be evidence that is reliable.

All issues relating to manner of driving are for the police not Tfl

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
As annoying as it is, Spen's right, that sort of thing is for the police.

There's another lesson in there, which is to stay behind an idiot driver so they don't get another opportunity to interact with you. Not always easy to do, in my experience.

OP
OP
leoc

leoc

Thanks Mikey, you're right. Reason I got in front of him so many times is I know the road well enough to be in the right lane at the right time, I wasn't filtering past or anything. I guess I'll chalk it up to experience then....

Keith Oates

Janner
spen, I don't doubt for one minute that the advice you gave is correct and without evidence a driver will not be disciplined. However is there not an authority, such as TfL, that if they received a complaint about a driver could record the fact and if several other people complained in the future he could at least be warned to take more care!!

spen666

Legendary Member
Keith Oates said:
spen, I don't doubt for one minute that the advice you gave is correct and without evidence a driver will not be disciplined. However is there not an authority, such as TfL, that if they received a complaint about a driver could record the fact and if several other people complained in the future he could at least be warned to take more care!!

No there is not and for good reason

If one complaint is not sufficent evidence - ie not substantiated, then several unsubstantiated complaints again don't prove anything

Keith- just re read your post and I have answered re disciplinary proceedings.

Your idea- re "having a word" would sound logical- but what weight could be given to "having a word" on a drivers record- if none- they will ignore it and its a waste of time- if it can have an effect- then my comments apply

This is especially so when you are dealing with somebody's livelihood.

It sounds annoying, but it has got to be right

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It's a shame, but from what I've seen on here, there's not much point complaining about London cabs, nothing ever gets done.......

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If the cabbie was rude and swearing, then you can complain to the PCO, I think that's within their remit. Best of all if you have video evidence of his behaviour!!

CotterPin

It does seem a little strange that, as I understand it, you can bring a complaint against a bus driver about their driving direct to their employer, but there does not seem to be a similar process for cab drivers.

I remember once, in the days when the PCO was part of the Metropolitan Police, I complained about a cabbie using a mobile phone and received a reply saying that the cabbie had been spoken to.

Has the situation therefore changed now that the licencing authority is TfL rather than the police?

Top Bottom