taxi to john o groats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycle Taxi

Hi, I have been running a VW caravelle minibus to and from John O Groats and Inverness, I can carry up to 5 bikes and 5 people, if you are raising money for a charity then the price for the 250 mile round trip is £100, plus fuel @ £45...£145
taxi2.co.uk

Cycle Taxi

Hi, taxi rates here in the Highlands are the lowest in the UK @£1.30 per mile, so work it out how much a 250 mile round trip would cost you, for a minibus would be a whole lad more, and that also would be even more on a Sunday, the cost is the same for 1 person or 5 at any time.
Scotrail will not take more than 2 bikes at a time, and with over 36 runs either to and from JOG to Inverness I have a very happy portfolio of satisfied clients, from this and previous years.

dodgy

Cycle Taxi said:
Hi, I have been running a VW caravelle minibus to and from John O Groats and Inverness, I can carry up to 5 bikes and 5 people, if you are raising money for a charity then the price for the 250 mile round trip is £100, plus fuel @ £45...£145
taxi2.co.uk

I think £145 is pretty fair.

dodgy

User76 said:
Blimey, do you want a lift anywhere:ohmy:

No, but 250 miles is possibly a 6 hour trip, that's only £15 per hour roughly. And considering that includes all occupants (unless I've made a mistake), the cost can be shared.

Good value.

Dave.

dodgy

User76 said:
Good point. However the OP wants to cylce back, so why the hell would he want to pay for the 125 mile return journey? This taxi service guy is charging to take someone about 125 miles to JOG, then he is charging them the same to not bring them back;) Why pay for a return journey when the whole point is to get there so you can cycle back?????? All of a sudden £30 an hour does not look so good does it?

When you get a taxi home from the pub in town, the taxi driver does not charge you for the return journey backinto town does he?

Also true, though it is my understanding that taxi firms in sparsely populated areas often charge in this way. I guess if there was a guarantee of a return fair (i.e someone doing a LEJOG) everything could get a lot cheaper.

Cycle Taxi

Get Real.......

A Taxi from Inverness to John O groats will cost you now in the region of £162 for up to 4 people, for over 4 and up to 8 will cost in the region of £300. These are set by the council and not some taxi guy charging for both ways on a journey my price is for one way, so its up to you, Bloody Well Walk....here are the rates

Tariff 1
General effect – the price of a hire£3.10 for the first mileplus£1.30p per mile thereafter
My Rate – Flat £1.20 per mile
Tariff 2
Applies between 10.00pm and 7.00am on any day, all day on Sunday andwhen 5 or more passengers are being carried at any time of any day or night, for example, by a “London” style taxi or by a “people carrier” or by a minibus, except where Tariff 3 applies.
General effect – the price of a hire£4.20 for the first mileplus£1.80 per mile thereafter
My Rate – Flat £1.50 per mile
Tariff 3
Applies on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day and 2nd January. It also applies when 5 or more passengers are being carried between 10.00pm and 7.00am and all day on Sunday.
General effect – the price of a hire £5.30 for the first mile plus £2.40per mile
My Rate – Flat £2.00 per mile

dodgy

Cycle Taxi, I don't think you'll get very far by taking that tone.
I've already made my views known, but you've probably just lost the ones on the fence.

Cycle Taxi

Get Real...

Maybe, but I dont like the way you are trying to make it look like I am ripping people off, just get a calculator and work it out, I have many bookings left for this year and 15 so far for next, these prices are only for those collecting on behalf of a charity, if you are doing it because its a challenge then I just charge basic flat rate for up to 5 people

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
Love the way this thread has turned into an argument. I ended up getting the train and it was a nightmare. Even tho i booked 2 months in advance with a bike and confirmed twice, when i got to the station they had no record of my bike booking and it was only because someone who had booked failed to show that i was allowed on. As a scottrail member of staff told me " all the people in the offices are idiots " Not much good if i had to spend the night in inverness, miss days cycling, then be forced to re book all my accommodation.
If there had been more than 4 of us the train is out of the question because you were only allowed 4 bikes on every train! ( boxed, bagged or whatever)
I would go with the angry cabby every time!!

gavintc

Guru
A one way car rental will not cost that much. I do one way rentals all the time at work, they are not as pricey as you would think. You will probably need to arrange for the keys to be with a hotel reception.

snorri

Legendary Member
Strikes me the taxi fares quoted are quite reasonable considering the convenience and time saved on the journey. Sure, there are cheaper ways for one person and their bike, but the taxi could well be an option worth considering depending on the numbers travelling and the time they have available.;)

Cycle Taxi

Hi to all.. I have just picked up 4 more bookings for 2009, 3 to pick up from JOG and 1 to transfer from Inverness airport.
There is nothing like a good debate !!! thanks to all those who have been watching in on this subject.
Just to confirm, Scotrail will NOT take any more than 2 bikes at a time
http://www.taxi2.co.uk

Top Bottom