Taxi!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Flying taxis are set to be used at the 2024 Olympics in Paris.

A couple of things from me:

1) What benefit does a 'drone' type vehicle offer over a helicopter design? Couldn't a helicopter be electrified?
2) A multi-engined aeroplane can usually fly on fewer engines and glide if they all fail. A helicopter can often autogyro. What of motor failure on one of these? Can they manage on fewer-than-all motors? And what of power failure? I assume they become ballistic?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I suspect there may be teething troubles with this. Therefore I won't be first in the queue to try it out. In fact, it will be a very long time, if ever, before you will get me in one. And if I find myself in Paris I'll be keeping one eye above me waiting for a taxi to fall out of the sky.
No thanks!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Before I saw the picture, I was expecting 4 blades just like a conventinoal drone. I thought this was the accepted layout for a more stable and more efficient flight? Perhaps for only 1 passenger it might work better than a helicopter or a whelled taxi.

Great idea - do it first somewhere I won't be!

sounds great but I don't want to be the first one to be in it when the power failure concepts get tested for real for the first time
I also don't want to be under it when that happens!

I will be interested to see how it goes
I wonder if there are any figures for energy usage and CO2 footprint per mile?

Top Bottom