taximan rides again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Hi folks,
I am a recently retired bloke, (can you guess what my occupation was?) and I love to get out and about. I am toying with the idea of putting my old bike back on the road and would welcome advice on wether or not modern parts would be compatable, (derailors etc) my bike actualy dates back to the 1960s, and when new, cost me £16/14/9d. I am ashamed to say it is a complete wreck at the moment, about the only usable parts are the frame handlebars, and saddle. I dont expect to do mega miles, just potter around on the Yorksher Moors & coast.
Regards, Mike

Hi Taxman and welcome to the forum.
What make of bike is it ?
I think it's great to know there are old bikes still out there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi there!

Iain has made the mistake that I made when I first read your forum name. I was going to suggest that you'd been a tax inspector but then I spotted the 'i' so you were in fact a cabbie!

Er, from what I know of the Yorkshire Moors, I don't think I'd like to be tackling them in my 60s on a bike from the 1960s which is probably pretty heavy and has limited low gearing! I'm sure that somebody will take offence and tell me how they ride up Rosedale Chimney on a 30 pound steel-framed fixed-wheel bike and that they are 75 years old!

I'd be tempted to splash out on a new bike unless you have a deep emotional attachment to your old one. You'd be amazed at how things have moved on in nearly half a century. Certainly gear systems, brakes and tyres anyway.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Hi Taxman and welcome to the forum.
What make of bike is it ?
I think it's great to know there are old bikes still out there.

Hi there Ian,
My bike was origionaly a Sun Snipe, but over the years just about every component has been replaced including the frame so I really can't give you an accurate answer. It was in regular use untill about1985 when my son (who was in the army at the time) borrowed it and took it back to camp. when I finaly got it back it had been almost competely stripped of everything that was any good, so you can imagine I wasn't a happy bunny. The remains have been lurking in the garage for the last 20 years.
Regards Mike

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Hi there!

Iain has made the mistake that I made when I first read your forum name. I was going to suggest that you'd been a tax inspector but then I spotted the 'i' so you were in fact a cabbie!

Er, from what I know of the Yorkshire Moors, I don't think I'd like to be tackling them in my 60s on a bike from the 1960s which is probably pretty heavy and has limited low gearing! I'm sure that somebody will take offence and tell me how they ride up Rosedale Chimney on a 30 pound steel-framed fixed-wheel bike and that they are 75 years old!

I'd be tempted to splash out on a new bike unless you have a deep emotional attachment to your old one. You'd be amazed at how things have moved on in nearly half a century. Certainly gear systems, brakes and tyres anyway.

Hello Colin
Yes, I was a Cabbie but now I am free. You are certainly right about the hills in this area. and I am aware that things have moved on with bikes as they have with everything else. The last time I cycled around Rosedale the chimney was still there! If I remember correctly everyone in the club gave up and pushed their bikes.

Regards, Mike

Hi Taximan and welcome - I'd keep the old frame as a project and look for something a bit more modern for the day-to-day riding.

These days the frames are that bit lighter and more responsive but the wheels have improved enormously.

Basically you want either a road bike or a hybrid ( like a road bike but able to take going off road) and then face the choice of going for a standard road chainset (53/39) or a Compact (50/34) or a triple with a granny ring to get you up the hills.

You might want to wait for some better weather before getting back on the saddle though.

snorri

Legendary Member
The last time I cycled around Rosedale the chimney was still there! If I remember correctly everyone in the club gave up and pushed their bikes.
I don't know about the Rosedale Chimney, but I do know that thanks to modern gear systems I can now climb hills that I would have had to walk up as a teenager. You have a few months until the weather improves for leisure cycling, so take your time and make the right decision regarding a replacement bicycle. Your old bike would have cost about 4 weeks pay by my calculating, but in view of the number of intervening years, I think you deserve a new one!:smile:

over the years just about every component has been replaced including the frame so I really can't give you an accurate answer.

Sounds like Triggers brush on only fools and horses
wink.gif

Simon

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Hi again folks. I thought I would let you know how things are progressing. I looked at the prices of all the bits & bobs I needed to put the old bike back into some kind of order but after some consideration I decided to buy new from the budget end of the market. The bike I chose is Barrasa Monaco. As I said it is not exactly a Rolls Royce but I think it will fit my requirements OK. (has anybody any comment on my choice, (I wont be offended). The day after it was delivered it snowed, then it snowed some more so I spent a little time in the garage messing about setting it up. I finaly ventured out for the first time last week and was horrified at how unfit I am and yes Colin J the hills were all waiting for me, only they are now steeper than they were. When I got home after that first ride I considered changing my username to numbum or something similar because Oh dear, that horrible instrument of torture called a saddle :eek: . The first thing I did was to get the old bike down from the rafters and salvage my old Brooks B17 and what a difference that made. I have been out again a couple of times for a short run but I have a long way to go yet.

Mike

PS thank goodness for granny rings

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Well done taximan, It will take a while, but it will be worth it after a while. Keep at it.:bicycle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I finaly ventured out for the first time last week and was horrified at how unfit I am and yes Colin J the hills were all waiting for me, only they are now steeper than they were.

PS thank goodness for granny rings
Funny how that happens, isn't it! ;)

I haven't been on a bike for nearly 2 months so I'm going to be making full use of the granny ring on my bike when I finally saddle up again the next week or two.

Anyway, it's good to hear that you are riding again. I'm sure that your cycling muscles will return once you really get back into riding.

Top Bottom