tda global cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robing

Über Member
Has anyone used this bicycle touring company based in Canada? I was thinking about doing some or all of the Beijing to Istanbul route as part of a RTW cycle. They look pretty good but only go in that direction ie east to west and is very costly (but is a 5 month fully supported expedition).

Are there any other companies offering similar? I couldn't find any.

Brains

Legendary Member
Mmmm, £20K for a 5 month trip.
Sounds on the high side to me

For about half that figure, you could go the same route over the same time frame with Dragoman, who are arguably the best of the overland companies, however you would not be cycling.

I would have thought if you have £20k to spend, you could find someone in China with a van who for £5k would be prepared to drive that route.
You just need a handful of other people to come along to make it financially viable.

Otherwise, set off on your own, you will soon meet other long distance cyclists

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard of Dragoman. They do the same route for less than £8k so much less than half. Shame it's not cycling though :sad:
You can do sections of the TDA route - could do Beijing to Dushanabe (Tajikstan) which makes it about 13k. From there I would head to the Caspian Sea and get the ferry to Baku. The TDA route goes through Iran which may not be a safe destination in the current climate.

Brains

Legendary Member
From experience:

I would strongly suggest you look very closely at the exact route Dragoman follow.
They have been running variations on this route since the days of the Hippies, the fall of the USSR, the war in Iraq/ Iran/Afghanistan etc.
Where they go, others follow.
Unlike most (all?) of the other Overland companies, Dragoman send out Scouting parties to assess the actual situation on the ground.
If Dragoman are currently rerouting around Iran, then it will be with good reason.

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
That's interesting. They don't go through Iran or Tajikstan (where 4 cycle tourists were killed by terrorists last year).

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
Decision made. Have booked Almaty to Samarkand which includes the Pamir Highway with tda is for 2021 whichc is considerably cheaper coming in at 5k. I've been to Mongolia before and it seemed a lot hassle to have to get visas for China, Mongolia and Russia. My plan is to leave end of June 2020. USA - NZ - Aus- se asia - fly Bangkok to Almaty to start the tour in July 2021. Cycle back to UK independently from Samarkand. All the countries on this route are either visa free or evisa.

Top Bottom