TdeF 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
Yes, Indurain never won a road race stage of the TdF. Quite a few near misses though...

Are you sure? I remember him sucking LeMond's wheel all the way up Luz Ardiden before popping past for the stage win. That would have been in 1990. I need to check that, because I don't remember anyone being up the road (but it was a long time ago).

Edit. Phew my memory is fine. Stage 16. And he also won Stage 9 the year before too, but I don't remember anything about that (despite owning the DVD) - so maybe my memory's not fine.

I think the stat is that he didn't win any road stages during the five Tours that he won.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I agree he did appear to be a classy guy, but if you're a doper, you're a doper. What kind of guy he was doesn't alter the fact that he cheated.
I'm not suggesting it does, or should. But it does affect the way people treat him. If Lance hadn't been such an egomaniac he might still have a few jerseys on the wall...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I may try and get over and find a spot to watch a bit of the Livarot - Fougères stage. I note that they've done a dog leg on this route, avoiding the Suisse Normande. What a bunch of wusses, are they afraid of a few hills? ;)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Are you sure? I remember him sucking LeMond's wheel all the way up Luz Ardiden before popping past for the stage win. That would have been in 1990. I need to check that, because I don't remember anyone being up the road (but it was a long time ago).

Edit. Phew my memory is fine. Stage 16. And he also won Stage 9 the year before too, but I don't remember anything about that (despite owning the DVD) - so maybe my memory's not fine.

I think the stat is that he didn't win any road stages during the five Tours that he won.

Well remembered!

Hont

Guru
Well remembered!
^_^

It stuck in my mind because all the Basques where giving Indurain water and doing everything they could to help him whilst he sucked LeMond's wheel. Yet all anyone ever says about that Tour was that LeMond didn't win a stage. IMO he was robbed of one.

But this is getting very OT now. :blush:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
^_^

It stuck in my mind because all the Basques where giving Indurain water and doing everything they could to help him whilst he sucked LeMond's wheel. Yet all anyone ever says about that Tour was that LeMond didn't win a stage. IMO he was robbed of one.

But this is getting very OT now. :blush:
Mig more than made up for it by allowing random breakaway riders suck his wheel to the top and claim the victory! Can't knock the man!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Exactly. Nobody with a realistic chance unless Porte or Henau step up a notch or two. I can't see Froome missing the Tour for a reserve team race like the Giro. (tongue in cheek)
The sponsors will surely want Froome at the biggest televised race of the year.

He's just keeping Bertie et al. on their toes! I'd be amazed if he isn't in Utrecht.

It looks like we were right then!:rolleyes:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-confirms-he-will-target-the-2015-tour-de-france

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Quick thread bump. ASO have announced that time bonuses will apply to all road stages not just the openers. http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Les-bonifs-temps-de-retour/541079

Top Bottom