TDF - anybody else finding the TV pictures poor this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fuzzy, poor colour and a lack of those superb helicopter shots we seem to have enjoyed for the last few years?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
539752_10151020807209873_1060954596_n.jpg

I thought the one of Wiggo attempting to crash a Johnny Halliday concert was superb

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Fuzzy, poor colour and a lack of those superb helicopter shots we seem to have enjoyed for the last few years?

Are you watching on EuroSport or ITV4 SD? If so, then yes but this is a trend in recent months to lower the broadcast quality of SD channels to push people towards HD channels. Have to say the quality on ITV4HD is fine and dandy - a bit of breakup from the motorbike cameras but thats to be expected.

I know there is a weight issue, but I would love to see helmet cams used on some of the riders...

ohnovino

Large Member
ITV4 on Freeview is broadcast with a very low bandwidth so that lots of other channels can be squashed into the same frequency. Most of the time it's not really a problem, but for fast moving images like sports programmes it can be annoying. Their football coverage is almost unwatchable.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
S
Yes, just ITV4. What does SD mean?
Shite Definition?

I've noticed the samethis year. Still, QVC's still sharp ...

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Yes, just ITV4. What does SD mean?

Standard Definition - your basic digital TV signal. As ohnovino says, compressed to hell to get as many channels as possible broadcast. Plus I still stand by my conspiracy on Sky when the SD channels are crappy...

AhThisFeckinThing

Agree, quality getting worse, even the likes of UK Gold is clearly on a lower bandwidth making the pictures sometimes unwatchable. I was really tempted to get HD this year for tour and all the Eurosport cycling, but feel if I am being conned I will NOT do it, possibly :dry:

ohnovino

Large Member
Presumably HD is no guarantee of quality: just because a picture has more pixels shouldn't mean it's safe from the same potential compression issues as an SD broadcast.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Presumably HD is no guarantee of quality: just because a picture has more pixels shouldn't mean it's safe from the same potential compression issues as an SD broadcast.

True in theory, but Sky (and Freeview) want people to buy HD product and, at the moment at least, thje HD channels are clear and fresh and perfect.

Top Bottom