TDF climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
ChefD, mapmyride.com claims that it categorizes climbs based on the climb rating given by the UCI. However, they also say that there is no subjective analysis used in the final rating. They have also added their own lesser cat 5 to the data.

It can be a bit of fun checking out that monster climb from round your way that you know would leave lesser fellows in a crumpled heap only to find that it doesn't even rate as a Cat 5. :laugh:
mapmyride can be heart breaking, busting a gut up the toughest you can find only to have it unclassified almost used to reduce me to tears :bicycle: :sweat::blink::cry:.
Actually I really liked the feature, I thought it added that little bit extra to the rides when you were reviewing them, I started using Endmondo about 6 months ago but I think I may switch back again.

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
Hi. Here's what mmr comes up with. View attachment 11001
thats good hey, i use to use map my run, think i need to look into mmride, the hardest climb i have done up to now is one in iron bridge which was on a sportif this year that was horribly steep and just as you get to what i thought was the top there is another hill about the same, was about 70 miles into the ride as well :cry:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
there is a road called kirkstone pass in the lake district im giving that a chefdicko cat 1 rating

If you are ever near to Loch Lomond, there is a seriously fearsome (but relatively short) incline up over a hill between Renton and Cardross called Carman Hill. The climb from the Renton side is by far and away the worst, and is a useful place to train climbing hills...... If you are a sadist that is.

It is the first incline on this, but tantalisingly, it doesn't give the gradients!:

http://lomondbikebuddy.com/cycle-routes/14-short-hilly-route-from-cardross/

By the way, of that site, I notice he refers to another hill as Carman Hill elsewhere, but I can assure you that it is the hill between Cardross and Renton, which seems a bit strange seeing as he appears to be local!

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
If you are ever near to Loch Lomond, there is a seriously fearsome (but relatively short) incline up over a hill between Renton and Cardross called Carman Hill. The climb from the Renton side is by far and away the worst, and is a useful place to train climbing hills...... If you are a sadist that is.

It is the first incline on this, but tantalisingly, it doesn't give the gradients!:

http://lomondbikebuddy.com/cycle-routes/14-short-hilly-route-from-cardross/

By the way, of that site, I notice he refers to another hill as Carman Hill elsewhere, but I can assure you that it is the hill between Cardross and Renton, which seems a bit strange seeing as he appears to be local!

thanks matey, thats a good web site could make a holiday out of that, going to put it on my to d list

asterix

Comrade Member
I've ridden the Bealach na Ba from the harder Torridon side as part of the Bealach na Ba sportive. It is the toughest overall road climb I've ridden in Britain, although not the steepest - that would be Park Rash in the Yorkshire Dales. I think that Rosedale might be officially steeper, but it didn't feel like it to me. Mind you I had just done Fleet Moss before going up Park Rash...

I'd say that Rosedale Chimney Bank is steeper. Even pushing your bike up the steepest bit is hard work! I used to do the Moors 'illy Imperial ride every year and reached it after 60 miles of climbs. My tactic was to buy an ice cream in Rosedale and eat it as I walked up.

The 'illy Imperial was a good ride if you wanted to test yourself on the hills but sadly it is no longer organised. There are quite a few 33% roads on the North York Moors but never anything like as long as the Pyrenean climbs. The steepest climb I found there was a mere 20% and the longest, 32km from Prades going west). When climbing Tourmalet I was passed by pro cyclists, effortlessly:angry: To their credit they were invariably encouraging as they whizzed passed!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yorkshire are making a serious bid for a future TdF start. I was amused to read the Hebden Bridge Times yesterday where it was suggested that the local Cragg Vale climb would be a good choice for a 'really hard test'! The public doesn't have a clue how hard pro cycling is. Cragg Vale may be the longest continuous uphill gradient in England but it only gains 968 ft in 5.5 miles, an average of about 3.4%. I have managed it in 23.5 minutes, so the Tour peloton would probably amble up it in 17 or 18 without even breaking into a sweat! (Link) :thumbsup:

Rob500

.... it was suggested that the local Cragg Vale climb would be a good choice for a 'really hard test'! The public doesn't have a clue how hard pro cycling is.

Not surprising really when your average non-cycling Joe thinks that riding a bike for more than 5 miles takes a super human effort. Obviously you'd have to be Zeus to get over a hill like that one.:bicycle:

oldroadman

Veteran
The UCI don't categorise climbs, race organisers do. In some it's a matter of relativity to the terrain. So what is a ToB cat 1, might be a 3 in TdF, for example. The old legend says that in the original TdF, when categorised climbs were introduced, the category depended on what gear the old cars had to drop into to get over the climb, when routing the course. So not only were the cars less powerful, they had to contend with horrible gravelly road surfaces. And the system has stuck, except now some passes are HC (Hors Categorie) like Tourmalet, which is only accesible for a few months every year. The rest of the time it's covered in snow...
Look at TdF route profiles and you will get the idea.
There is no climb in this country that would be anywhere better than cat 2 compared to major climbs in the big races.

Yorkshire are making a serious bid for a future TdF start. I was amused to read the Hebden Bridge Times yesterday where it was suggested that the local Cragg Vale climb would be a good choice for a 'really hard test'! T
he public doesn't have a clue how hard pro cycling is.
Cragg Vale may be the longest continuous uphill gradient in England but it only gains 968 ft in 5.5 miles, an average of about 3.4%. I have managed it in 23.5 minutes, so the Tour peloton would probably amble up it in 17 or 18 without even breaking into a sweat! (Link) :thumbsup:

Did anyone take note of their times for the climb??

Top Bottom