TdF fans remove eco protesters who aim to disrupt race.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
A great time and place for a protest considering the amount of coverage it gained. But hey most people would rather see the world burn than interrupt a sport.

Look at all the pages of discussion these protests have produced - and all it took was sitting down on a road for 10 minutes.

Job done I'd say ...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
To be honest, I'll start making eco comprisons when hypocrites like me stop flying to Greece for a week in the sun...:whistle:

Alex321

Veteran
I don't think you could ever make a sensible comparison. My point was just that the TdF can't be seen as an eco-friendly event in any way at all. It's not like it can offset its emissions against the fact that it promotes active transport, cos it doesn't. It's just a bunch of weird specimens of humanity zooming around impossibly fast, and being extremely entertaining.

If you did want to attempt a comparison ... You'd need to take into account emissions from people driving to the event too, and as F1 has far fewer actual spectators, cos it's in a closed stadium/track thing, TdF would score heavily on that. And all those helicopters (there are loads of them) could probably give an F1 car a run for its money in fuel burning. TBH I know absolutely zip about F1 though. TdF is once a year though, and there are loads of GPs. Maybe include all the GTs - or all top road races ... Gets messy.

TdF may be once a year, but there are two other Grand Tours, and 35 other world tour races. While the other WT races don't have quite as big a caravan as the Grand Tours, it is still pretty extensive. And of those 35 other races, 14 are stage races over several days. So more actual days of racing in UCI world tour events than F1 (even including all 3 days of each F1 weekend)

I do love watching them, but you really can't pretend they are eco-friendly.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To be honest, I'll start making eco comprisons when hypocrites like me stop flying to Greece for a week in the sun...:whistle:
Land travel to Greece is more expensive, slow and awkward. I think it's fair enough to call on politicians to do more to encourage better alternative travel options, while using the current crap ones occasionally.

Will the protestors target this week's TdFF? It's unjust and disrespectful if they don't!

Top Bottom