TDF = watching in Yorkshire..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
Well, I was in haworth last week ( okay,between there and oxenhope) and had the epiphany, I'd be a complete idiot not making a little effort and watching it.

( the alternative was masham where my cousin is, but that felt a bit risky from where we are nr manchester, having to cross so many possibly closed roads, but haworth is an hour)

So now got tent booked in at a 'cafe' , she was really nice and was a bit annoyed at the council for the lack of help ( apparently they STILL aren't being clear about when roads are shutting). I think they've not got many pitches, because they're offering the shower from their 'annex' to be used!

we drove across quite a bit of the route, cragg vale is surely going to be amazing , surely? And on the tops, wow.

Right, where do they sell mankinis?

jongooligan

Legendary Member
So now got tent booked in at a 'cafe' , she was really nice and was a bit annoyed at the council for the lack of help ( apparently they STILL aren't being clear about when roads are shutting).
Right, where do they sell mankinis?

Seems fairly clear: TdF Road Closures

OP
OP
D

davefb

Guru
ah, but they're being told different times.. well that was my understanding.
though reading that, I wonder if "they're" getting confused about the different 'levels' of closure?....... I got the idea that they were having difficulty talking to 'contractors' like loo's or burger vans or whatever stallholders and there hadn't been the clarity they were after.

RhythMick

Über Member
I live near Penistone and planning to cycle up the TPT to watch the tdf whizz past either at Langsett or further up the A628 where Windle Edge / Goddard Lane joins it. The latter has the advantage that the riders will be going uphill at that point so we might actually see more than a blur.

Anyone know how close we're going to be allowed to get on bikes?

Last edited:

RhythMick

Über Member
Wonder how long they'll take to do Stage 2, and when they start ? Goddard Lane / A628 looks to be about 80% of the distance in.

EDIT: Suggested timetable indicates about 3pm on A628.

Last edited:

NorvernRob

Wonder how long they'll take to do Stage 2, and when they start ? Goddard Lane / A628 looks to be about 80% of the distance in.

EDIT: Suggested timetable indicates about 3pm on A628.

Ewden Bank just off the A616 isn't far from there and should be a really good place to watch, there's a 25% twisty descent with a hairpin at the bottom then another climb. We'll be halfway up that, hopefully to get a good view and some good photos as the riders slow for the tight bends and come up the hill. Not only that but the descent is very narrow so the riders will be spread well out.

Does anyone know if you are going to be allowed to cycle the route after the road closures? (Obviously not close to race time).

We're planning to ride up part of the route in reverse from Sheffield, but an alternative would be to go Snake Pass then over the Strines if the roads are closed to all traffic.

+1 for NorvernRob's question - I'm planning to ride in from Northallerton across to Aysgarth, watch the Caravan and Peloton then head back to Leyburn to see the riders again.

What's the etiquette / rules for riding on the course on the day? Not that I'd expect to be able to follow the tour, but are cyclists permitted to 'reposition' by a km either way before the Caravan and the Peloton, or does the road closure apply equally to all? I can't see how you'd get to the top of some of the better climbs any other way - the roads in that area aren't exactly flush for space of footpaths.

Was in Harrogate yesterday (no bike unfortunately) - great atmosphere.

E.D.

NorvernRob

I've managed to find out that they are allowing cyclists to use the closed roads at Holme Moss until 2 hours before the caravan arrives, so I don't see any reason why anywhere else should be any different.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I've got a cottage in Low Bradfield for Sat night so can walk out on Sunday Stage 2 and find a good spec to watch, may have to go a bit to find a climb.

Does anyone have a map for Stage 2 with ballpark estimated times?

suzeworld

Veteran
I've managed to find out that they are allowing cyclists to use the closed roads at Holme Moss until 2 hours before the caravan arrives, so I don't see any reason why anywhere else should be any different.

This is broadly what they do in France, and tbh once you are on the road, there are not ppl every ten yards telling you to get off, so you can cycle until the serious tour vehicles / media vans etc start to beep up behind you in my experience watching ppl on mountians in France ...

Top Bottom