TDY 2019 stages announced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
UCL also upgraded tour to HC category
What's UCL?

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
@brommers for sure the whole place is buzzing for week's before. Seeing pro team's warming up in your local car park is something else. The best thing is people just come together and make it happen with no government or political meddling. It's just Yorkshire at it's best.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Damn, I'm due to be working early shifts for the full duration of the event :sad: Hopefully there'll be a finish at Brid & I'll get finished at work in time to get there, best I can hope for without booking a day off or swapping shifts :blush:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Thanks for update. I hope they swing through the dales again. I’ve managed to cycle their each time so far but all these are a bit too far in a day.

mjr

The best thing is people just come together and make it happen with no government or political meddling. It's just Yorkshire at it's best.
Just come together and make it happen with thousands of government political money! https://www.gov.uk/government/news/800000-investment-for-cycling-and-tourism-in-yorkshire

It's a great event but government has been involved too. Credit where it's due!

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
@mjr Not sure what happened to that then my area not seen any. Yes it need's money some will have at some point come from government some how. My comment is more aimed at the what make's it really work and why they come back for more. Along with the hill's and mile's of open road communities come together like never before. The land art , the bunting ect and the atmosphere everyone love's happen's because people make it happen with or without political meddling. It's become much more than "just a bike race"

It's hard to explain just how much a buzz and catalyst the event has for the local communities involved. Watching the race go buy at the side of the road is one thing and yes it's great to see. But hearing and seeing what people are doing in the build up is quite another. In the end all this happen's because of barmy idea that Yorkshire could stage an international cycling event. The government at time did not exactly come running. In fact did they formally back a bid down south?

mjr

@mjr Not sure what happened to that then my area not seen any. Yes it need's money some will have at some point come from government some how. My comment is more aimed at the what make's it really work and why they come back for more.
Indeed, many things come together and community support is vital. It's just not really true to say TdY isn't politically backed with government "meddling" - but that's a good thing when it's helpful.

In the end all this happen's because of barmy idea that Yorkshire could stage an international cycling event. The government at time did not exactly come running. In fact did they formally back a bid down south?
I don't remember the government backing a southern competitor to TdY. For the TdF Grand Depart that arguably led to it, various bits of government (including government-funded UK Sport and British Cycling) backed Edinburgh not Yorkshire but the UK government itself seems unusually-sensibly not to have taken a side.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just come together and make it happen with thousands of government political money! https://www.gov.uk/government/news/800000-investment-for-cycling-and-tourism-in-yorkshire

It's a great event but government has been involved too. Credit where it's due!

Indeed, many things come together and community support is vital. It's just not really true to say TdY isn't politically backed with government "meddling" - but that's a good thing when it's helpful.

I don't remember the government backing a southern competitor to TdY. For the TdF Grand Depart that arguably led to it, various bits of government (including government-funded UK Sport and British Cycling) backed Edinburgh not Yorkshire but the UK government itself seems unusually-sensibly not to have taken a side.

Didn't then Prime Minster David Cameron push the Edinburgh bid as a tool to influence public opinion ahead of the independence referendum?

While I've no first hand experience of the finances of the TdY, there was a lot of opposition to the TdF bid from outside the county and no support from officialdom that I can remember.

Top Bottom