TDY 2019 stages announced

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by tom73, 4 Oct 2018.

1. tom73

tom73 Senior Member

Last edited: 4 Oct 2018
    Soltydog and brommers like this.
  2. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

What's UCL?

3. OP
    OP
    tom73

tom73 Senior Member

oh hit the wrong key

4. mjr

Ah cool sorry. I thought it might be another race, possibly a new name for a Women's World Tour race.

tom73 likes this.
  5. brommers

brommers Years beyond my wisdom

With the crowds they get it deserves HC status. Loads of the WT teams will be lining up for this.

6. OP
    OP
    tom73

tom73 Senior Member

@brommers for sure the whole place is buzzing for week's before. Seeing pro team's warming up in your local car park is something else. The best thing is people just come together and make it happen with no government or political meddling. It's just Yorkshire at it's best.

NorthernDave likes this.
  7. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

Damn, I'm due to be working early shifts for the full duration of the event :sad: Hopefully there'll be a finish at Brid & I'll get finished at work in time to get there, best I can hope for without booking a day off or swapping shifts :blush:

8. geocycle

geocycle Über Member

Thanks for update. I hope they swing through the dales again. I’ve managed to cycle their each time so far but all these are a bit too far in a day.

9. mjr

Just come together and make it happen with thousands of government political money! https://www.gov.uk/government/news/800000-investment-for-cycling-and-tourism-in-yorkshire

It's a great event but government has been involved too. Credit where it's due!

10. OP
    OP
    tom73

tom73 Senior Member

@mjr Not sure what happened to that then my area not seen any. Yes it need's money some will have at some point come from government some how. My comment is more aimed at the what make's it really work and why they come back for more. Along with the hill's and mile's of open road communities come together like never before. The land art , the bunting ect and the atmosphere everyone love's happen's because people make it happen with or without political meddling. It's become much more than "just a bike race"

It's hard to explain just how much a buzz and catalyst the event has for the local communities involved. Watching the race go buy at the side of the road is one thing and yes it's great to see. But hearing and seeing what people are doing in the build up is quite another. In the end all this happen's because of barmy idea that Yorkshire could stage an international cycling event. The government at time did not exactly come running. In fact did they formally back a bid down south?

brommers likes this.
  11. Probably the €€ of ASO have as
    much to do with it as the British government or the good burghers of Yorkshire

12. mjr

Indeed, many things come together and community support is vital. It's just not really true to say TdY isn't politically backed with government "meddling" - but that's a good thing when it's helpful.

I don't remember the government backing a southern competitor to TdY. For the TdF Grand Depart that arguably led to it, various bits of government (including government-funded UK Sport and British Cycling) backed Edinburgh not Yorkshire but the UK government itself seems unusually-sensibly not to have taken a side.

13. brommers

brommers Years beyond my wisdom

With the World Championships in Yorkshire next year as well, this will be a massive event.

tom73 likes this.
  14. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Didn't then Prime Minster David Cameron push the Edinburgh bid as a tool to influence public opinion ahead of the independence referendum?

While I've no first hand experience of the finances of the TdY, there was a lot of opposition to the TdF bid from outside the county and no support from officialdom that I can remember.

tom73 likes this.
  15. Turdus philomelos

Turdus philomelos Veteran

I booked my B&B located a hop, skip and a jump from the finish line back in August for Harrogate.
    This got me buzzing all over again.

NorthernDave and tom73 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice