Tea and sympathy needed, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It's the weekend.

It's warm and sunny.

I have no work on.

I was going to go to collect some long-awaited Moulton parts from the bike shop in Tadcaster, and go by bike and make a day of it in the sunshine, but...

I've got a stinking cold. I've sat all morning over the computer playing with FaceBook and dripping copiously, despite taking some anti-drip pills. I'm shivering and my teeth all ache.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No sympathy for you whatsoever.

Your mother told you to wear a vest or you'd catch a chill, but did you listen? No, of course you didn't!

People like you make me VOMIT! :biggrin:

Wolf04

Bummer! Have a virtual hot toddy on me.
My recipe
Equal parts milk, lemon juice and water.
Place in saucepan and warm gently.
Large measure of brandy or rum in glass.
When mixture is hot pour down sink and drink the Brandy/Rum.
Repeat until you forget about the flu (real men etc)
Hope you're well soon.

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Smokin Joe said:
People like you make me VOMIT! :biggrin:

Wimp - get out there and ride it off

<Lip wobbling, about to cry>

When mixture is hot pour down sink and drink the Brandy/Rum.
Repeat until you forget about the flu (real men etc)
Hope you're well soon.

:wacko:

I've got a migraine

Sorry to hear that. Want to tell us about it? I get them, but very, very rarely.

wafflycat

Alcohol is a distinct no-no when in the throes of a migraine. I get migraines occasionally these days, and I can cope with that. What was difficult for me was when I had chronic migraines where one ran into the next and I was effectively bedridden in pain for about a year with them. Not good when your doc refuses to give you any pain-relief as it's 'just a headache and everyone gets headaches' :wacko::angry::sad: That particular graduate of the Dewhurst Butchery School of Medicine has a particular place in line 'come the revolution' It's a place in the line of where I get to practise research into pain responses to 'creative uses of a blunt scalpel, brillo pads and pliers' where I'm wielding the implements :biggrin::evil::biggrin::biggrin: In case anyone doesn't understand the pain levels of a migraine as opposed to a 'headache' I've gone through childbirth and I've broken a bone and neither of those came close to the pain level (intensity or duration) of a migraine. Imagine that level of pain going on for about a year, constantly, with no pain relief given. It wasn't the best part of my life!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My mom used to get migraines - not nice - I've never had one (fortunately) !

Can't be good on a hot day !

longers

Legendary Member
Waffly- I had acupuncture to rid myself of migraines. Might be worth a look. It was something to do with my pancreas and someone sticking needles in my ankles and knees has worked.

I had a lot of episodes and the doctors just kept chucking drugs at me in the hope that something might work eventually. The acupuncture was a last resort and I wish I'd gone there first!

peanut

Migraine and toothache must be amongst the worst sorts of pain for making you feel wretched.
Often it seems to be the way the body tells us it has something toxic in its system it wishes to get rid of.
I Found by trial and error that I am intolerant to Scotch (woe is me) chocolate (double woe) and coffee ! (how unlucky can a person get ?)

I can drink scotch every night for a week or so with no apparent ill-effects then whammo huge migraine that takes 3-4 days to lift. Same with chocy overdose

Another common cause is certain plants in the summer like rapeseed and elder etc . Worth checking yours and your neighbour's gardens for any likely sources.

Certain perfumes and after-shaves can give you a bad headache within 2-3 minutes but will usually subside with half an hour or so of removing the source.
A rare cause is pressure on nerves and infection in sinus or tooth roots but you would usually be aware of swollen face and glands and ear ache and jaw ache as well as migraine.

Some migraine sufferers even suffer with light sensitivity

wafflycat

Had acupuncture, worked for a short period. That & I've gone through pretty much anything the NHS would do (apart from strong painkillers) and nothing worked. What did work was upping my magnesium intake - I now only get a few migraines and I can cope with that.

barq

I think colds at this time of year are a pretty miserable business, and Waffly, as an occasional migraine sufferer, you have my absolute sympathy. In my case I was lucky enough to improve after a course of antidepressants for another ailment (depression, funnily enough :sad:). Feverfew from my herb garden was also useful (if eaten in time).

Top Bottom