Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
A start though, and you remembered to get a picture of it.
The old style OS employees who did all the triangulation work were hardy sods,
I like the standards of some chisel work left behind
like this one,
NS 3549 7355 Port Glasgow, Parkhill, Building.jpg

Isn't that a doozy?
First benchmark was in the mid 1850s at this location

classic33

Leg End Member
The old style OS employees who did all the triangulation work were hardy sods,
I like the standards of some chisel work left behind
like this one,
View attachment 618797
Isn't that a doozy?
First benchmark was in the mid 1850s at this location
They'd to spend the time outside, unlike today where they'd probably lift them in by helicopter having completed the work on them elsewhere.

Worn well over the years, wonder if the paint helped save the mark.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
They'd to spend the time outside, unlike today where they'd probably lift them in by helicopter having completed the work on them elsewhere.

Worn well over the years, wonder if the paint helped save the mark.
Just excellent chisel work on hard stone..

Extract about today's trig.
Pillar completed June 1936. Computed as primary triangulation station PP345 within Figure 3 of the OSGB36 Primary Retriangulation of Great Britain during 1937. Levelled for height in 1943.

A previous hill trig I visited,
a reet potted history..
Pillar completed 21st April 1944 costing £7.4s.0d. Computed as tertiary triangulation station NT18/T59 within the Dunfermline secondary block during 1947. The flush bracket was levelled and verified for height to Class 1 precision tertiary standards in 1964. This marker was last routinely maintained by the OS in August 1981.

the cost included all materials hauled up and built albeit this is 5 mins from a road.

Much higher, Helvellyn (I have a photo of the trig somewhere)

The pillar was completed in May 1950 costing £48.15s.0d. Overcharging eh, cheaper with the Jock contractors:laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Just excellent chisel work on hard stone..

Extract about today's trig.
Pillar completed June 1936. Computed as primary triangulation station PP345 within Figure 3 of the OSGB36 Primary Retriangulation of Great Britain during 1937. Levelled for height in 1943.

A previous hill trig I visited,
a reet potted history..
Pillar completed 21st April 1944 costing £7.4s.0d. Computed as tertiary triangulation station NT18/T59 within the Dunfermline secondary block during 1947. The flush bracket was levelled and verified for height to Class 1 precision tertiary standards in 1964. This marker was last routinely maintained by the OS in August 1981.

the cost included all materials hauled up and built albeit this is 5 mins from a road.

Much higher, Helvellyn (I have a photo of the trig somewhere)

The pillar was completed in May 1950 costing £48.15s.0d. Overcharging eh, cheaper with the Jock contractors:laugh:
They'd further to lug it up Helvellyn, more money spent for those doing the lugging. And for any pack horses used.

They must of done it on the cheap on that last one north o f the border.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
They'd further to lug it up Helvellyn, more money spent for those doing the lugging. And for any pack horses used.

They must of done it on the cheap on that last one north o f the border.
Having been on both hills, there is a BIG difference
Ballencrieff
Ballencrieff.jpg

Helvellyn
Helvellyn.jpg

A lot of work for that cost but still a good profitable rate I guess

I'm off, :cuppa: then off to eyeball Alice...

classic33

Leg End Member
:cold: icy windscreens abound
Good morning y'all:hello:

Ballencrieff literally from the parking area, 5 - 10 mins
Helvellyn , a fair haul up even with pack horses...
Let nature do the job, unless yer planning on going somewhere.
Owdo

And you begrudge them the extra they spent getting it up there. And then setting it up. We've it too easy today.
Would the parking area have been there, when they were putting that in place?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Let nature do the job, unless yer planning on going somewhere.
Owdo

And you begrudge them the extra they spent getting it up there. And then setting it up. We've it too easy today.
Would the parking area have been there, when they were putting that in place?
Probably but not a designated area like today and of course, the obligatory 'parking fee',
I love the Lakes but jeez, they fair know how to kick the erchie out of parking fees.
The car park i used near Arrochar for the 'Arrochar Alps' cost a quid for many years then they restructured it to £9..
I only used to get dropped off but didn't mind the quid when Mrs M waited on my return..
no wonder tourists feel ripped off

classic33

Leg End Member
Probably but not a designated area like today and of course, the obligatory 'parking fee',
I love the Lakes but jeez, they fair know how to kick the erchie out of parking fees.
The car park i used near Arrochar for the 'Arrochar Alps' cost a quid for many years then they restructured it to £9..
I only used to get dropped off but didn't mind the quid when Mrs M waited on my return..
no wonder tourists feel ripped off
Some get paid twice. Paid to use land for other than agricultural purposes and then charging to park on it.
It's not just "yer erchie" they'll kick, given half a chance.

£9 is pushing it a wee bit. If it were going to something useful, fell rescue, air ambulance it wouldn't be as bad.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Some get paid twice. Paid to use land for other than agricultural purposes and then charging to park on it.
It's not just "yer erchie" they'll kick, given half a chance.

£9 is pushing it a wee bit. If it were going to something useful, fell rescue, air ambulance it wouldn't be as bad.
£9 is nothing..
Pen-Y-Pass in Snowdonia is £20 and you have to book:laugh:
for £14 more you catch the train up then down, and you have to book:ohmy:

Parking money goes back into the park areas, have you ever seen the plush offices they have:ohmy:

classic33

Leg End Member
£9 is nothing..
Pen-Y-Pass in Snowdonia is £20 and you have to book:laugh:
for £14 more you catch the train up then down, and you have to book:ohmy:

Parking money goes back into the park areas, have you ever seen the plush offices they have:ohmy:
It's a £1 short of £10, and not many carry loose change, so they'll round it up to £10. Machines don't give change.

Never actually paid for parking. We've parked up further away, starting the walk earlier.
Who pays to catch a train up Snowdon?
Bar the queuing last year, it's always been a long slow lug up to the summit. Made worse last year with three hour queues on the paths.

There used to be a Mountain Rescue base, with radio and phone lines, at the carpark. Part of the building, locked until needed.

classic33

Leg End Member
Day 618.
Owdo
The day has dawned, with a chill in the air and ice on the paths. They talk of snow by the end of this week.
The clear blue sky of yesterday hasn't appeared this morning. Suppose we can't expect it every day.

There ends this log entry...

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
giphy.gif

Yawn..
only kidding, busy :ohmy:
It's a £1 short of £10, and not many carry loose change, so they'll round it up to £10. Machines don't give change.

Never actually paid for parking. We've parked up further away, starting the walk earlier.
Who pays to catch a train up Snowdon?
Bar the queuing last year, it's always been a long slow lug up to the summit. Made worse last year with three hour queues on the paths.

There used to be a Mountain Rescue base, with radio and phone lines, at the carpark. Part of the building, locked until needed.
[/]
You have to book at minimum well in advance for the train up.
We climbed the Miners path, I wanted to do the Pyg track.
We descended back down the Llanberis track and missed the finish of the Tour of Britain stage that day:sad:
That one is (or was drivable)
HERE (BBC News)

Top Bottom