Teacher Training Days - and 13 weeks holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday, my son brought home some info and a letter from school.
6-weeks and one day holiday PLUS two Teacher Training Days the first week back.

Jeez man, I think I might go back to uni and train as a teacher - best paid part-time job in the country!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Go ahead - no-one's stopping you.
Anyone that thinks teaching is an easy skive has obviously never tried it.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Did it teaching night classes for 5 years on top of my day job until 2006.
School buildings Manager for 6 years and governor for 3 in late 80s/early 90s when additional "teacher training" was delivered in the last week of the summer holidays or the last day/s of half term, and continued the same when the national curriculum was introduced.

subaqua

What’s the point
Did it teaching night classes for 5 years on top of my day job until 2006.
School buildings Manager for 6 years and governor for 3 in late 80s/early 90s when additional "teacher training" was delivered in the last week of the summer holidays or the last day/s of half term, and continued the same when the national curriculum was introduced.

and were you paid for the night class teaching? You will be well aware of the facts that most , as not all will, teachers will be working well past directed hours with marking, planning, attending governing body/ PTA meetings, school fetes, taking kids on schooltrips over weekends. if you add the actual worked hours up then they are significantly more than your average 40 hr week.
INSET - in service training , ensuring the teachers are kept up to date with current best practice depending on which way the wind blows into the education ministers window that week. oh and also for keeping upto date with relevant legislation. all progressive employers do in service training.

the education act also puts limits on the number of days children can be in school.
i could write lots but it probably wouldn't be read anyway as once you have your minds made up thats it really isn't it.

now i must go off to see wifey at her schools summer fete. she has been ther since 8 am and is unlikely to be back before 5.

redcard

Veteran
According to the school holiday schedule for 2013 teachers get around 65 days per year, plus in-service days, or whatever you want to call them.
The average full-time worker will work 47 weeks (235 days), a teacher will work 195 days.

So the average teacher would need to work an absolute minimum of 20% more hours than the average full-time work to make up for their additional holidays.

Go ahead - no-one's stopping you.
Anyone that thinks teaching is an easy skive has obviously never tried it.

Sure, no-one's stopping him.

and were you paid for the night class teaching? You will be well aware of the facts that most , as not all will, teachers will be working well past directed hours with marking, planning, attending governing body/ PTA meetings, school fetes, taking kids on schooltrips over weekends. if you add the actual worked hours up then they are significantly more than your average 40 hr week.
INSET - in service training , ensuring the teachers are kept up to date with current best practice depending on which way the wind blows into the education ministers window that week. oh and also for keeping upto date with relevant legislation. all progressive employers do in service training.

the education act also puts limits on the number of days children can be in school.
i could write lots but it probably wouldn't be read anyway as once you have your minds made up thats it really isn't it.

now i must go off to see wifey at her schools summer fete. she has been ther since 8 am and is unlikely to be back before 5.

And by the same token, no-one's stopping your wife getting an easier job.

subaqua

What’s the point
and a good pension , i think teachers are on to a good thing

not as good as you think.

snorri

Legendary Member
It's not the teachers that organise things, but it does seem a bit odd that children get a day off for teacher training days. When I was undergoing training someone was found to do my job and the customer was unaffected.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Two of my close family are teachers... they are the ones who took early retirement on a good pension, and took 5 weeks every summer to go to Australia, which didn't affect their annual holiday entitlement. Yes, they had to mark and prepare for lessons but after the initial years' of preparation the lesson plans were pretty much the same, they just updated them for curriculum changes. I have to work longer and harder but that is my choice as I work for myself and can on occasion earn more than I would as a teacher, but they also get week-ends off which if they are organised means they don't end up marking on Sunday afternoons or the last days of half-term.
I would on reflection, comparing apples with oranges, be a teacher as it must give them a fantastic sense of achievement working with new faces year after year and inspiring them to achieve their best and start to enjoy chemistry and biology and physics and art and english and history and.... what a great life!

subaqua

What’s the point
According to the school holiday schedule for 2013 teachers get around 65 days per year, plus in-service days, or whatever you want to call them.
The average full-time worker will work 47 weeks (235 days), a teacher will work be in school 195 days.

So the average teacher would need to work an absolute minimum of 20% more hours than the average full-time work to make up for their additional holidays.

Sure, no-one's stopping him.

And by the same token, no-one's stopping your wife getting an easier job.

whats 20% of 40? 8hrs. thats very easy to do extra in 2 nights never mind a week so that arguments right out of the window immediately. report writing at the end of terms meant she was finishing work well past midnight for weeks. oh and of course the marking of tests in the weeks before that. Very very easy to put in an extra 4 hours a night thats 20 hours a week which is approx 50% more.

yes she could get an easier job, but she doesn't constantly whine about how the grass is greener without really understanding. a few years as a school building manager ( caretaker who was too dangerous to be trusted with a broom ) or doing night school teaching or even being a governor ( done the governor and the night school lecturing bit - practical stuff too not just dry lectures ) will never give you an understanding of the real Terms and conditions

redcard

Veteran
whats 20% of 40? 8hrs. thats very easy to do extra in 2 nights never mind a week so that arguments right out of the window immediately. report writing at the end of terms meant she was finishing work well past midnight for weeks. oh and of course the marking of tests in the weeks before that. Very very easy to put in an extra 4 hours a night thats 20 hours a week which is approx 50% more.

Surely the standard of teaching she was providing must have suffered drastically in this period?

Top Bottom