Team kit bibs - on the cheap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi, to save a bit more money, I've taken a look on ebay at the Asian versions of the team kits. They are much cheaper then the original ones you buy here. Has anyone bought one from ebay, (usually ship from China, HK, Singapore etc). If so, how were they? Were they comfortable, did they breath like the expensive versions and the bib padding comfortable? Thanks

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Ive got some & some originals

Tbh i find them more than acceptable

PpPete

Legendary Member
I got some a while back, seemed OK the few times I used them, but I noticed when I washed them that they seemed to take an age to dry compared with even budget UK brands. The thought of being caught in the rain wearing kit that suddenly weighed 5 times as much and would likely never dry out however far or fast I rode was enough to put me off. I sold them on eBay for a substantial profit, even though I made the "provenance" quite clear. TBH I never really got into the whole team strip thing - havnt got the figure for it.

jay clock

Massive member
A couple of BMC "replica sets". Extremely acceptable for the price, no issues with quality, and fast enough for delivery (a couple of weeks from China. Seller was an Ebayer called bestxj58

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Ah two different views ok. Only reason I wear the is because even the full price, or reduced on PBK, are still cheaper then buying "normal" ones. Do they "breath" ok then? Just, if they get wet, then I imagine they would not breath so good when sweaty, not be able to wick the sweat away from the skin. For £20-£30 i may try one and see what its like tbh. Also, I don't mind too much if it is disposable to a certain degree, as long as it doesn't rub and it breaths alright.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I bought a Roubaix LS jersey and bib longs for about £26 (free p&p)!

I have genuine Nalini to make a comparison and as you would expect, the real thing is better quality (the feel of the material, the consistency of the printing etc).

However, they were good enough that I will be ordering again: in fact I was looking yesterday and they seem to be clearing out old stock, so even better value.

Sizing is an issue: although I have plenty of length in the arms and legs (which being lanky, was my main concern) they are quite tight around the thighs, biceps & forearms; not so tight as to be unwearable, but enough to strain the seams over a period of time I think.

Overall, I think they are very good value for money.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
I find it always a gamble when you buy the ones from the UK as it is. I have 4 or 5 different team strips, and they are nearly all different manufacturers sizes. Last year I ordered a kit to the same size specs as previous ones, and it was much too small. Italian ones seem smaller. So, as they are from Asia, would you say they were smaller in general, the kit that is. ie, buy the next size up? The ebay shops say returns are fine, just not sure how much the return P&P would be. thanks

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
As one company's "XL" is another's "M" you can't make a broad comparison or rule of thumb; however, I would guess that they copy the size as well as the design.

So if you know what you are in, for example, Castelli (or how kit you have compares to Castelli) then that's a good starting point when ordering the Chinese copies.

From what I've seen, all the different Ebay sellers are retailing the same gear, so if the one you're interested in doesn't have a size guide check other sellers.

I e-mailed my seller with my measurements and they recommended sizes: I ordered a top one size up from their suggestion but stuck with their advice for the bibs, with the results I mentioned above.

Weigh a pair of your own bibs and a top (or whatever you're ordering) to get an idea of the weight for posting.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
cool thanks very much. will prob' put an order in this week then.

guttertrash

Über Member
I got a Movistar kit off ebay last year. The jersey was ok but the material in the shirts was so thin it was almost transparent when worn. Maybe needed larger size.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I am in talks at the moment with a manufacturer in Bangkok; I alreadt have two of his tops. My biggest problem is sizing, not only am I big but I am tall. We are discussing supplying tops of different lengths so no more rear pockets halfway up your back or down to your knees.
I am trying to keep the price down but not at the expense of quality. So how much would you be willing to pay for a high quality single colour s/s top?

Top Bottom