Team Sky TDF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nearly there

Veteran
Its no secret Sky are out to get Wiggins the yellow Jersey but what team will they take?I know cav will be as there are 9 flat stages for him to contest and bernie to er look after cav as they put it but apart from the 3 names mentioned who else makes the team?

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I expect them to take a strong GC support team for Wiggo. Cav can take care of himself, and has shown on many occasions he's quite adept at latching on and using other teams trains to victory. Plus I expect him to notch up a few stages then take it easy, as his real goal is the olympic road race (he may even retire half way to save his legs). I would also expect to see any sky trains also involve wiggo, but he will be riding the coat tails not pulling at the front, which makes sense as he wants to get the time of the first bunch and avoid the crashes. Also expect to see Cav taking turns at the front with the other guys to pull / shelter wiggo, after all he's done this before too.
Sky have a difficult balancing act, but I would expect (and hope) that they focus on Wiggins, as Cav has already had the Green, and the Yellow is the greater prize.

I'd expect to see:

Fletcha
Edvald B'H
Gerant
Bernie
Froome
Maybe Swift (not sure about this one)

I would expect it to be top heavy with good climbers.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
That's pretty much who I would take, except that I'd expect another experienced domestique like Knees or Siutsou to be picked instead of Swift.

We already know Thomas is not riding the TdF this time.

montage

God Almighty
It will be a shame not to see Uran or Flecha in the line up - but having ridden the Giro, I wonder if they were never in the shortlist?

Paul_L

Über Member
If I was in charge, Uran and Henao would be the first names on my team sheet for the Vuelta.

I agree with that. I'd be tempted to go with one of them for the Tour as well, instead of Swifty depending on Giro recovery. As much muscle in the mountains as possible.

Buddfox

Veteran
So it's out: Wiggins, Cav, Boasson Hagen, Eisel, Porte, Knees, Froome, Rogers and Siutsou.

Looks like they've tried to strike a more even balance between Wiggo and Cav than I expected, but it's a strong squad. I expected one of Uran or Henao, I have to say.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's a team packed with hard men. There's only two specifically in support of Cav, and really only one (Eisel) if you think that EBH probably has his own goals, although I am sure Porte and Rogers will form part of a train in some stages.

PpPete

Legendary Member
So it's out: Wiggins, Cav, Boasson Hagen, Eisel, Porte, Knees, Froome, Rogers and Siutsou.

Looks like they've tried to strike a more even balance between Wiggo and Cav than I expected, but it's a strong squad. I expected one of Uran or Henao, I have to say.

So did I....

Top Bottom