[Teams] Vino I Will Return to Astana, or Heads Will Roll

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

John the Monkey said:
Armstrong & Bruyneel "free to form their own team".

Now tell me, in all seriousness, how this is NOT going to effect Astana for the TdF. I reckon it's heading for implosion.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
yello said:
Now tell me, in all seriousness, how this is NOT going to effect Astana for the TdF. I reckon it's heading for implosion.

Gosh, I hope not, that would be awful for such a nice bunch of lads.

:biggrin:

simon_brooke

Go Vino!

Actually I can't help finding this funny. Vino sets up a Kazakh national team with himself as leader, and pulls in all his old friends from T-Mo - including, presumably, the (er'hrrm) backup staff. Vino then over-indulges in the products of the backup staff and gets himself suspended. Armstrong decides to come back to racing and, obviously, looks to join the team with the best backup staff...

Vino is absolutely on the ball here. If Kazakhstan is paying for a Kazakh national team, how come there are no Kazakh riders? It is his ball, and he can take it home. Meantime whoever his Lanceness had found to cough up for his new team '100% Ego' obviously didn't like the taste of the cough medicine.

I used to enjoy watching Vino racing. Not because I thought he was a good sportsman - he was clearly never a team player and would never ride for anyone but himself - but because he would mix it, stir it up, break up other people's strategies, and generally cause chaos. He hasn't changed, he's just moved from causing chaos on the road to causing chaos in the board room.

And it's a great spectator sport!

Skip Madness

simon_brooke said:
Vino is absolutely on the ball here. If Kazakhstan is paying for a Kazakh national team, how come there are no Kazakh riders?
There are ten Kazakh riders in the Astana team - Assan Bazayev, Valeriy Dmitiriyev, Alexsandre Diachenko, Maxim Iglinskiy, Dmitriy Muravyev, Bolat Raimbekov, Sergey Renev, Roman Kireyev, Berik Kupeshov and Andrey Zeits.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Skip Madness said:
There are ten Kazakh riders in the Astana team - Assan Bazayev, Valeriy Dmitiriyev, Alexsandre Diachenko, Maxim Iglinskiy, Dmitriy Muravyev, Bolat Raimbekov, Sergey Renev, Roman Kireyev, Berik Kupeshov and Andrey Zeits.

Don't be silly, Skip, that's a bunch of Scrabble tiles!

simon_brooke

Skip Madness said:

And how many of those will ride in the Tour de France?

Exactly one.

Will1985

Über Member
It hardly matters as Bruyneel, Armstrong and co will move off to set up Nike-Livestrong or whatever it was rumoured to be. Contador will go somewhere else like Caisse d'Epargne, and leave the cheat Vinokourov to flounder with his fantasy team attending unpublicised continental races.

The sooner it happens, the better.

Skip Madness

simon_brooke said:
And how many of those will ride in the Tour de France?

Exactly one.
But this undermines the argument that the Kazakhs aren't getting a good return on their investment. If it was just run as a Kazakh national team they probably wouldn't be at the Tour de France at all.

Top Bottom