Technical gear shift question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
My first car was a Rover Metro 1.1, did the job!.

That lorry looks interesting to drive, are they 18 speed?.

I do remember though, that it was amazeballs in the snow! It was so under powered that you couldn't wheel spin and the wheels were super skinny so they just dug in.
It was the same with an early Panda we had ('E' registration, one of the boxy ones)

A few years ago, when we were in the old Hospital buildings, I was on-call, to grit the grounds (overnight), & had the use of my mothers (1997) Corsa
That was the same situation, skinny (145) tyres, no torque/BHP from the 1.0litre engine & light-weight

Digressing slightly
Nowadays, the local Fast Responders (Paramedics) use Octavia Scouts, they may just look like a jacked-up estate, but they're phenomenal in snow/mud, even on normal tyres (I've seen them myself)

Drago

Legendary Member
1971-76 Ford Pinto LOL

Shaun
The Pinto is an interesting example. Despite its reputation for giving it's drivers a Viking funeral due to the fuel tank being mounted at the rear and outboard of any chassis structure, statistically it was no more likely to burst into flames than any other average car.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 4638655, member: 9609"]for anyone who thought driving a truck was easy, but can anyone tell me what is going on here ? (standard lorryi gears in many ways!)

[/QUOTE]
I didn't watch it all, but it looks to me like in typical American fashion, they have turned a reasonably simple process into a complicated series of manoeuvres. I assume that the outside stick is the high and low box, and the other 2 is the splitter box? In a Volvo as I'm sure you already know, the same job is done with couple of switches on the one stick. I could be very wrong though as I've never driven a Kenworth.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 4642258, member: 9609"]It really has to be the stupidest set up possible. I'm fairly convinced its the classic fuller 13 speed roadranger box and for some bizarre reason the pre select buttons on the side of the gear stick have been replaced with stupidly long levers. The right had stick is the range change, middle stick the gears and the left is the splitter.
You actually get to see him go through all the gears from 5:15, starting in crawler, then the four low range gears, he then splits the four in high range. (you could only split high range in the roadranger) I have no idea why he is taking it out of gear then putting it back into gear when splitting, probably just hamming-it-up, just like he is by going through all the gears. In reality on a flat road you would probably just be using 5 or 6 gears and with a bit of practice you wouldn't need bother with the clutch (apart from setting off and splitting)[/QUOTE]
Shouldn't be too disparaging about an entire nation, but it does kind of summer them up. I didn't even consider this was done as a retro fit.:banghead:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4642258, member: 9609"]It really has to be the stupidest set up possible. I'm fairly convinced its the classic fuller 13 speed roadranger box and for some bizarre reason the pre select buttons on the side of the gear stick have been replaced with stupidly long levers. The right had stick is the range change, middle stick the gears and the left is the splitter.
You actually get to see him go through all the gears from 5:15, starting in crawler, then the four low range gears, he then splits the four in high range. (you could only split high range in the roadranger) I have no idea why he is taking it out of gear then putting it back into gear when splitting, probably just hamming-it-up, just like he is by going through all the gears. In reality on a flat road you would probably just be using 5 or 6 gears and with a bit of practice you wouldn't need bother with the clutch (apart from setting off and splitting)[/QUOTE]
When I worked at the SAAB dealers 2 of the guys could bring cars in on breakdown with the hydraulics on the clutch 'gone' (stick the car in 1st and start it in gear then change gears by ear and feel)

Slick

Guru
When I worked at the SAAB dealers 2 of the guys could bring cars in on breakdown with the hydraulics on the clutch 'gone' (stick the car in 1st and start it in gear then change gears by ear and feel)
I brought a stricken truck back from one of the western islands using the same method. Only really hairy moment was getting off the boat, but the deck crew made some space for me and we got off easy enough.

Top Bottom