Technical knowledge - London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rustychisel

Brixton Hill, to be precise.

My stepdaughter needs a hand sorting out her road bike (chain, gears). Anyone around care to help out with a favour - I'm 8,000 miles away, sadly.

Cheers all.

Tynan

Veteran
if it's only adjustment a local shop should do it cheaply surely? if it's parts then it costs what it costs

Brixton cycles is supposed to be nice people

PatrickPending

Legendary Member

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Twenty Inch said:
You're not really enabling her to sort out her own problems are you? Can't she post here herself? - she'd be made very welcome.

Yes, and if she was around my age (16, nearly 17) i will personally make her feel very welcome:biggrin:
Unfortunatly, i cannot help with the problem though, dont live down in London. But that is something i am pleased about;)

(Quickly runs before the people from London can catch me)
;)

OP
OP
R

rustychisel

asterix said:
Maybe Rusty Chisel is concerned that she might stray into Soapbox Politix and Life?

Best response so far!!

Now, in order, I could do it but I'm 8000 miles away, as I said.

Tynan - it's a 7 speed RSX system that skips chain etc. Brixton numpties sold her a new rear mech for £25 and signally failed to sort the problem.

Twentyinch - not with big boys like you around.:tongue:

PatrickP - I have done, including links to some of the very sites you mention. Long distance diagnosis is one thing, long distance repairs quite another.

Snorri - I know you're married (ah, and I know where YOUR daughter lives).:becool:

Joe24: she's 30 and she'd spit out the bones on you (but you'd probably die happy).

She should take it back to the shop obviously.

yello

Lordy you lot a are a helpful bunch! Rusty, if I still lived in London, I'd have happily pootled down and had a look. I love an excuse for a ride and a tinker with bikes! AND I'm happily married so there'd be no ulterior motive! What's more, I'm a kiwi and helping an aussie should kinda stick in the throat :becool:

7-speed RSX is old.

Her cassette is probably worn and needs replacing, her chain is probably stretched ditto, her mech probably will need a good truing-in after the above, and her shifters may be suffering from the same deterioration as myself and Rigid Raider have experienced.

Don't know what to suggest, other than try to find the local community cycling workshop. They'd probably do it for a donation.

there you go

http://www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk/Maintain/maintain.html

They have a monthly maintenance class for £10.

Have I made up for my earlier surliness yet?

OP
OP
R

rustychisel

Good suggestion!! You're forgiven (nothing to forgive)...

cassette worn, chain stretched - CHECK (from jpegs supplied)
RSX old - CHECK, but seems servicable

Would you - seriously - go back to the monkeys who sold her a new rear mech as their solution to an aged groupset, knowing what you - and I - know?

I figured there had to be someone London based on this forum who'd had some benefit from the cr4p that I type and felt like reciprocating.

Cheers

Top Bottom