Technique to avoid rear wheel slip when pedalling standing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As has been said already, either stay sat down or keep your weight back over the rear wheel. It's a balancing act and if you are close to the point of lifting your front wheel then you have got the maximum weight on the back wheel.

There is one other thing you can do and it seems to work well for me, but is counterintuitive as it is the opposite to smoothing your pedalling. With every pedal stroke, push your bike down to increase grip just as you are generating max torque. I guess it isn't very efficient, but where grip is the limiting factor rather than the power you can generate then it can allow you to get more power transferred into forward motion by increasing the grip. It works.

Reactions: C R
WOuld riding with slightly less air in the tyres help???

possibly it would put more rubber onto the road?

presta

Guru
Buy a tyre with a soft rubber, long lasting tyres don't have good grip as they have rubber designed for high mileage.

In the wet, it's the hysteresis loss of the rubber that provides the grip:

1696862967849.png

Sharky

Guru
A long time ago, before riding our club hill climb for the first time, I was given the advice to pump the front tyre rock hard, but leave the rear on the soft side for better grip. This would be for a 4 minute climb, so probably unsuitable advice for a longer ride with an occasional hill.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
As has been said already, either stay sat down or keep your weight back over the rear wheel. It's a balancing act and if you are close to the point of lifting your front wheel then you have got the maximum weight on the back wheel.

There is one other thing you can do and it seems to work well for me, but is counterintuitive as it is the opposite to smoothing your pedalling. With every pedal stroke, push your bike down to increase grip just as you are generating max torque. I guess it isn't very efficient, but where grip is the limiting factor rather than the power you can generate then it can allow you to get more power transferred into forward motion by increasing the grip. It works.

I've been trying to imagine how to keep the weight on the back wheel while standing on the pedals. All I can think of is pulling on the bars as I push on the pedals, is that what you meant?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've been trying to imagine how to keep the weight on the back wheel while standing on the pedals. All I can think of is pulling on the bars as I push on the pedals, is that what you meant?

Difficult to describe, easier to do. Just bend at the waist a bit, stretch your arms out in front of you a bit more, stick your bum out at the back.

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
Plan a different route to avoid the steep hills?
^_^

That's one way of doing it, but I like nice open views from the tops of hills, and that usually requires getting to the top of the hill. Walking is of course an option, but I don't like being defeated by the barstard.

Top Bottom