Tecno-Numpty needs help .... please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Jnr can earn a laptop ripping CDs.
She's only 5 Adrian .....

Maybe after she's cleaned the car then.

LetMeEatCake

Back (briefly) on topic, just in case you weren't aware: if you purchased any of your collection from the internet's favourite tax-savvy (ahem) online empire (Amazon), you can usually download the MP3s directly from them for free. Obviously, this doesn't help if you diligently supported your local traders, in which case kudos, but back to hours slaving over a humming optical drive it is.

Anyway. Chimney cleaning at age 5? Pfft. By age 5 I was in a demanding middle-management role, working long hours and taking beta blockers to combat the stress. Kids have it so easy these days.

Tin Pot

Guru

You are aware that CDs decompose, they will expire and become unreadable as will all digital media?

On the plus side, as a legal owner of the 600 CDs you will not be prosecuted in the U.K. If you down load the songs that have already been ripped from a torrent provider. So you don't need to do 110 hours of ripping.

It is likely only your most obscure EPs aren't already "out there" on the web.

Lee_M

Guru
nothing wrong with spotify or internet radio when you're in the car. It will sound crap/mediocre regardless.

Save your audiophile ears for home, and use your mobile phone in the car through the aux input or whatever tech wizardry your car has

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Even a ten year old laptop will be good enough to rip CDs. Personally I would used iTunes and set to write to mp3 - you can even set the software to automatically rip when a cd is put in and eject automatically when ripped. That way you can just leave the laptop on and each time the cd tray opens, put in a new disc.

I this about more than 12 years ago when ditching my CDs and moving to digital.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Even a ten year old laptop will be good enough to rip CDs. Personally I would used iTunes and set to write to mp3 - you can even set the software to automatically rip when a cd is put in and eject automatically when ripped. That way you can just leave the laptop on and each time the cd tray opens, put in a new disc.

I this about more than 12 years ago when ditching my CDs and moving to digital.

I'd go for apple lossless or flac format rather than the inferior mp3 - at least if you ever want to plug the pc into a stereo. And I bet you will one day and it'll be a pain to do em all again. To be fair mp3 isn't bad but it's clearly an audible difference. "Studio master" quality is a bit better again than CD but not as big a difference - but audable certainly, but obviosuly you can't make CD quality better than it is.

If, like me, you listen to classical, you'll likely need to edit the album names as otherise you sometimes get artist Andre Previn, album "symphony no 3" - which is next to useless.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'd go for apple lossless or flac format rather than the inferior mp3 - at least if you ever want to plug the pc into a stereo. And I bet you will one day and it'll be a pain to do em all again. To be fair mp3 isn't bad but it's clearly an audible difference. "Studio master" quality is a bit better again than CD but not as big a difference - but audable certainly, but obviosuly you can't make CD quality better than it is.

If, like me, you listen to classical, you'll likely need to edit the album names as otherise you sometimes get artist Andre Previn, album "symphony no 3" - which is next to useless.

The problem with lossless of flac is that I would be surprised if the OP's car could play them. .mp3 is universal.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The problem with lossless of flac is that I would be surprised if the OP's car could play them. .mp3 is universal.

the car may well not but you can auto convert when putting them onto your ipod or whatever. Starting again loading hundreds of cds to get a better sound when you eventually plug in to your stereo is demoralising !

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

This is why I use EAC - it gives you control over tags. It also connects in the background to a free internet database that has successfully tagged the vast majority of our (moderately obscure) CD library. I then use Media Monkey on the PC to do the final editing of the track names, and make sure composers and artists are properly tagged.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Oh, and it's also possible with EAC to select a variable bit rate MP3 format which is good enough. As Flanders and Swann said, why would I want the sound of an orchestra playing in my living room?

Top Bottom