Teen on an adult bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mini ck 1 has had a grwoth spurt recently and is just over 5 feet now , we do have a mini carrera tdf with small wheels for him but i wondered if one my bikes with s 54 TT could be altered to fit ? i was thinking stubby stem or is it too much of a jump ?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
54 TT seems quite a stretch for a 5'0"ish unless he has a very long torso / arms.

You have the boy and bike so in best position to judge, but it probably wont be long until he spurts again to be able to fit it.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Let him try it . Might be ok and if he does get on with it stroll on....
I can ride 62cm ok but prefer 58cm with a 120mm stem.

He might be fine with a short stem just remember it changes the handling

si_c

Guru
Does sound a little on the large side. Might be worth looking at the second hand market see if there is anything suitable in an S framesize for him to act as an intermediate frame, but I'd be wary about buying a new bike as chances are with the current market that he'll get a new growth spurt before you get it delivered making it too small.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

yeah i thought it would be too big, he has just had a growth spurt but with the kidney disease hes small , nearly 15 but the same size as as 11 year old

Well, I'm 4' 11, so maybe one of the 700c Wiggins roadies might suit? They do (or did) come in two frame sizes.

I ride the 650c version fwiw.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Well, I'm 4' 11, so maybe one of the 700c Wiggins roadies might suit? They do (or did) come in two frame sizes.

I ride the 650c version fwiw.
thats the wheel size we have now with a 48/32 chainset , bought last year from a fellow CCer
1645118186821.png

Top Bottom