Teeth are overrated...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
My self ive never seen anything happen on that roundabout it looks ok but the road surface could be done again as its starting to fall apart.
Normally the long stretch to benton where anything happens... the odd chancing rabbit or close pass.

Are you thinking of Benton Asda? I think the OP crashed at Gosforth ASDA, by Regent Centre Metro. The little round-a-about there is a bit of a nightmare.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Are you thinking of Benton Asda? I think the OP crashed at Gosforth ASDA, by Regent Centre Metro. The little round-a-about there is a bit of a nightmare.
yer benton asda is the one i was thinking of. I thought thats the one he ment.
But reading agian he says
ASDA in Gosforth
so i read it wrong or overlooked it ha.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Just had a tooth broken and given the options, from 'straight out', single denture, crown, bridge etc.
They said the ideal long term was an implant. If you can get someone else to pay it's not a bad idea. I was quoted £2k+

If you're talking about the small roundabout at the top of Hollywood Avenue immediately o/s Asda, I know exactly what you mean, it's usually those coming out of Asda, similarly with the Regent Centre RBT.
I changed my route to avoid Hollywood Avenue both ways. Much safer.
Depending on your from/to my alternative may be safer (it's not via South Gosforth)

Tony

Brains

Legendary Member
can only recommend Russell Jones and Walker, I was a witness to an accident a few years ago, they were the lawyers used by the defendant, amazed how throuough they were.

400bhp

Guru
Anecdotal evidence is growing in my head that roundabouts are the points at which cyclists have the most accidents.

The Devil's work.

Get well soon.:smile:

I hear carbon teeth are far superior:whistle:

ushills

Veteran
RJW are the ones I'm using but no outcome yet.

If the root of the tooth survived then a zirconium crown is apparently the best, I've had three at the front. Best to keep own roots I've been told, I broke two below the gum line and had crowns successfully fitted.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Cheers for the responses and advice folks, all gratefully received.

Rob3rt - I hadn't really considered the second option you presented. Seems like it could be a good shout if the driver is willing to take a punt. I'd like her to be as I really love that bike and although it would make a lovely ornament, I'd rather not see that happen!

Cycling Dan - You're not wrong, the surface at Benton ASDA is a nightmare. And I nearly hit a rabbit there once too. A bit frustrating as I enjoy a leisurely ride around Sunrise Park with my wife on a Sunday afternoon, provided we're not having a monsoon!

I had not realised it was a legal requirement for someone to stay at the scene of an accident. Makes sense when I think about it!

And regarding the police, they were absolutely top notch. I don't remember anything from the aftermath of the crash, though my wife said they were excellent and by all accounts did a good job of calming her down; apparently incoherent husbands covered in blood aren't exactly relaxing?! When they came to talk to me the following day they were efficient and helpful in outlining the options I had, both in terms of compensation for my bike, as well as getting the driver on an awareness course. A credit to their profession.

I have used Edinburgh Bicycle in the past (I must admit I'm not their biggest fan, for reasons irrelevant to this thread) and they were recommended as an option by the police. I would have gone there, but my wife ended up sneakily picking up my bike while I was having a snooze and took it to Steels in Gosforth who carried out all the necessary checks. Bike effectively written off, and they also provided estimates for my kit and computer which I now have as an itemised 'bill'.

gambatte - It's looking like an implant will be the route I go down. It's what the hospital dentist recommended and seems a good option.

TonyEnjoyD - I would be interested to see the route you use. I commute from Wallsend to Regent Centre but have been unable to find a route that doesn't involve major junctions/traffic. I did think that the Hollywood Avenue route was one of the quieter/safer ones, but that theory has been blown out of the water, or off the roundabout!

Brains - Cheers, they seem to be the best option from what you and others have said. I'll be giving them a shout today.

400bhp/ushills/endoman - Thanks for the tooth advice. I'm not sure about the root/bone situation, but I'll know more when I've been to a 'proper' dentist. All that's happened so far is having the nerve removed from what's left and a temporary filling put over the jaggedy shards that remain. With the swelling, stitching and cuts, I look like a beaten up tramp. A classy look.

As for carbon, I'm not totally sold. Steel is real, after all! Though a rusty mouth doesn't sound too appealing...

Maz

Guru
Sorry to hear about your accident, AndyRM. Hope you get it sorted.
Did you call 999 in the end, as you say the driver was unable to? Did the police take statements? I'd be interested to know what normally happens once the 'authorities' arrive. I don't want to tempt fate, but would like to know what can be expected in the event of an accident.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Sorry to hear about your accident, AndyRM. Hope you get it sorted.
Did you call 999 in the end, as you say the driver was unable to? Did the police take statements? I'd be interested to know what normally happens once the 'authorities' arrive. I don't want to tempt fate, but would like to know what can be expected in the event of an accident.

Thanks Maz. Wheels are already in motion for getting everything sorted out. I heal pretty quickly so injuries are starting to hurt a bit less, though whiplash is a proper bugger!

I have to be honest, I'm not sure what the score was with the emergency call. I got pretty bad concussion so don't have any memory of what happened. I've probably lost about 6 hours out of that day! From what I have been told, the driver called 999, was a bit hysterical, but managed to give a location which the police ended up checking out. On arrival they took statements from 5 people about what had happened and put my bike in the security locker-room at ASDA.

They also managed to get hold of my wife and told her what had happened as well as where I'd be taken. They told her that they'd be following up with a visit the following day to discuss what I should be doing in terms of insurance, and also what would be happening to the driver.

My experience with the authorities has been nothing but positive!

Reactions: Maz

Hector

An implant is best, although they are pricey at around the £2500-3000 mark for a decent one.

Implant technology has come on in leaps and bounds in the last few years. Even when teeth have been missing for a few years and the bone receeds into the gum line, implants can now still be fitted when they could not before. There's a few articles floating around about implants. The guy who played William Wallaces Dad in Braveheart has had a whole mouthful of implants fitted and an article was written about this in a newspaper that I recall reading, you should google it and have a look. And provided they are looked after can last anything upto 30 years.

Bridges are cheaper, but having a fake tooth cemented in between two others can raise issues as time goes on and the teeth in your mouth move over time. For overall peace of mind I'd go with an implant.

The other stuff has been answered so I won't comment about that.

Top Bottom