Teetotalism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Location
The Borough
Has anyone else managed this at all?

I have been "off the pop" since the start of January and I feel so much better for it. However, that's not to say that I don't get hugely tempted still.

How do people manage the cravings and also the social pressures? (A lot of my friends have reacted as if I said "I've decided to become a murderer").

Help!
Thing is, without the assistance of drink, how is it possible to get together with someone ? Tea drinking & arranged marriage ? I shall forever be thankful for bottles of Jura and Auchentoshan and the dutch courage they imbued.
 
OP
OP
MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Thing is, without the assistance of drink, how is it possible to get together with someone ? Tea drinking & arranged marriage ? I shall forever be thankful for bottles of Jura and Auchentoshan and the dutch courage they imbued.

I have never had any problems in this respect but even if I did, I'm almost an old married lady now, so not an issue.
 
Location
Surrey
Thing is, without the assistance of drink, how is it possible to get together with someone ? Tea drinking & arranged marriage ? I shall forever be thankful for bottles of Jura and Auchentoshan and the dutch courage they imbued.
Another very good reason to stay off the sauce;)

I find it much harder staying off the fags,than not drinking,& I was very heavily into both.
 

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Enjoy beer, red wine, whiskey, port. Only Fri-Sat-Sun

January is always off the booze. Only this year I had to go to China for 10 days. There the formula is drink = make friends.....make friends = make business. So you are somewhat obligated if you want the trip to be successful. Their spirit starts at 38% and goes up to about 62%. It tastes bloody awful but is an amazing social lubricant in what is a pretty emotionally repressed society. Everyone loves everyone after enough glasses of 62%

So, having spent 10 days most definitely on the horse in January, I have done an extra 10 days off it in February.

Alcohol is a life pleasure for me. It makes my life nicer, I don't spend daft amounts on it, I am not anti-social, my health is fine and I am not developing some dependency to it. So I drink it.
 
OP
OP
MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
BTW, there seems to be this thing happening here where people are presuming that because I have given up drinking, that I think drinking is evil and that everyone else should stop.

Drinking is fun and I love it, it's just that it also makes ME personally quite ill and also quite portly, so I stopped drinking. This doesn't bode well for my pushy mates

Everyone else carry on as you were. I just wanted to ask those who stopped drinking how they managed to stay off it.
 

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Location
Meanwood, Leeds
I only drink on days that have two or more vowels in them.
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
I gave up booze for a couple of years in my twenties, no problem. It was just a reaction against Dad who drank too much. I guess I drank a fair bit when I first became a mature student later, keeping up with all the others, but now I can generally take it or leave it. I don't usually drink on my own at home, that seems like a slippery slope.

I like to think I drink because I fancy a specific drink - a beer, or a glass of wine, or much more rarely, and usually in summer, a G and T. On a hot day out on a bike, I'm most likely to fancy a shandy for refreshment.

I think I'd worry if I just wanted 'a drink, any drink'.
 

green1

Guru
I only drink when I'm out, I had an unopened crate of beer the the fridge and someone didn't believe that it was the same unopened crate when they came round 3 months later.
 

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Location
High Shields
I had a nasty visus just after xmas which hospitalised me for a few nights...I gave up booze for 2 weeks; cant say I felt any better as soon as I recovered I was back to the odd couple pints during the week and a session at weekends
I enjoy it too much!
real ale btw :thumbsup:
 
Location
Surrey
I only drink when I'm out, I had an unopened crate of beer the the fridge and someone didn't believe that it was the same unopened crate when they came round 3 months later.
Same here,never drank at home,swmbo had to buy the small bottles of wine to have with dinner.
 
OP
OP
MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I had a nasty visus just after xmas which hospitalised me for a few nights...I gave up booze for 2 weeks; cant say I felt any better as soon as I recovered I was back to the odd couple pints during the week and a session at weekends
I enjoy it too much!
real ale btw :thumbsup:

Ale is what I miss - and Wheat beer.

And Malbec

And atomic spritzer

However, given that every time I drink one of the above I get a searing pain in my abdomen, I think missing them is the better option.
 
Top Bottom