Tektro HD-R280: hydraulic disc - which brake pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeIow

Guru
I'm getting a bit of a front brake squeal on my Specialized...probably time for new pads (over 4k kms - sounds about right, I suspect)
I'm a bit confused by the two options available:
P20.11 - high performance metal ceramic compound​
P10.11 - organic​
Anyone clear what the difference is? Is one better (perhaps the first, but the second is better for the environment?)
Not a lot in price difference....

Then I'll have to see some videos on fitting (first disc brake bike!) - can't be too hard, right :blink:
(eta - just watched https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=224 - looks very straightforward - might want to get a 'brake press' tool!?)

Any top tips?
cheers!

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
The metal-ceramic compound will resist heat build-up better and last longer, so will work better in sustained braking environments - an alpine descent for example so Metallic pads also tend to work better for heavier riders. Organic pads will be softer and quieter in braking but won't last quite as long, generally better for day-to-day riding or cold weather use. They don't last as long but also don't wear rotors as quickly - check to see if yours say something like "resin pads only", in which case don't get metallic.

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Thanks!
I'm on the heavier side of weight.....& I'm not averse to a bit more brake noise when braking, might let pedestrians know I'm hurtling towards them :laugh:
The brakes appear to support either: the specs only read:
Tektro HD-R280, hydraulic disc, resin pads, flat-mount, 140mm rear, 160mm front​

Pretty sure either will do. I'll try the high perf ones.
cheers!

si_c

Guru
Thanks!
I'm on the heavier side of weight.....& I'm not averse to a bit more brake noise when braking, might let pedestrians know I'm hurtling towards them :laugh:
The brakes appear to support either: the specs only read:
Tektro HD-R280, hydraulic disc, resin pads, flat-mount, 140mm rear, 160mm front​

Pretty sure either will do. I'll try the high perf ones.
cheers!
They key is to check the rotors, if it says they are resin only then you'll wear them down really quickly with metallic compound pads. Of course that's easily fixed by replacing the rotors.

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
I will have a look tomorrow, thanks!

eta - nope, just size, Tektro and F-> (that way forwards!)

Last edited:

Willam

I’m not small, I have just got the 10.11 organic, plenty stopping power.
If you do go go the metallic and get noisy ones, the noise is not only loud but very embarrassing when everyone stops and looks! Been there hence the organic!

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
I’m not small, I have just got the 10.11 organic, plenty stopping power.
If you do go go the metallic and get noisy ones, the noise is not only loud but very embarrassing when everyone stops and looks! Been there hence the organic!
NOW you tell me 🤣
I’ve gone with the metallic…nothing on the rotors to suggest resin only….haven’t installed them yet, but will see how they go 🤷‍♂️
Cheers 👍

Top Bottom