Tektro V Brake which pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

I'm just looking to replace some pads on some Tektro V Brakes. I've seen a few on ebay that look cheap enough, but I just wanted to know if any V Brake pads will fit the Tektro V Brake? Also, can you get some decent pads that are cheap like the ones I've seen on ebay, or do they just wear out fairly quickly or something? Cheers!

wisdom

Guru
There are a lot of factors in this question.
A lot depends on where and how often you ride.I commute daily and in a wet winter I can wear out pads fairly quickly.Expensive ones too.
The benefit I find with good pads is the stopping power is better as is the wear rate.But in really foul weather I can still go through them.Try different ones until you find a balance that suits your type of riding.
Be prepared to change cheaper ones a little more often.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Do you have a link to the Clark brake pads you use. I see there's a few different pairs? These will be used for a Hybrid Cycle. Cheers!

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do you have a link to the Clark brake pads you use. I see there's a few different pairs? These will be used for a Hybrid Cycle. Cheers!
I've just used the basic ones on my Hybrid and my MTBs plus the front brake on the Trike the multi-compound are supposed to be better in the wet, can't provide a link to the shop I use as he doesn't have a website (or even a Computer)

EDIT - I've never struggled with brakes but then I was cycling on Chrome rims back in the 60s/70s so anything will stop better than what I grew up with.

mynydd

Veteran
If you are going anywhere near hills in the rain, personally I’d steer well clear of Clarke’s pads....... I got through several pairs in a matter of days on my commute.
Expensive as they are I use salmon koolstops now, and they last, and last and last.... oh, and they enable me to stop.
But if you just cycle in the dry, on the flat then Clarke’s will probably be fine ^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you are going anywhere near hills in the rain, personally I’d steer well clear of Clarke’s pads....... I got through several pairs in a matter of days on my commute.
Expensive as they are I use salmon koolstops now, and they last, and last and last.... oh, and they enable me to stop.
But if you just cycle in the dry, on the flat then Clarke’s will probably be fine ^_^
I'd sooner wear the pads out than my rims and for what it's worth I commuted every day on bikes as I don't have any other means of transport and got at least a year out of Clarks brake blocks (it's hard to say exactly how many miles I got cos I used different bikes to go to work on but the commute was 100-120 miles a week)

mynydd

Veteran
similar weekly mileage to me then. Maybe my problem was the fact that my commute into work is steep downhill all the way... the pads were gone in a matter of days in the winter.

Last edited:

migrantwing

Veteran
I was desperate for some brake blocks and hesitantly bought some Clark's triple compound blocks (red/grey/black) as I wanted some Shimano or Koolstop. Glad I got them in the end as they are absolutely brilliant. Cheap, too.

Amazon

Chainreactioncycles

Last edited:

mynydd

Veteran
66C54C24-853A-41E2-8855-E1DE636A729B.jpeg
Top one was after five commutes (20 miles each) compared to a new one.......

Top Bottom