telegraph today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
Interesting letter!

Vicious cycles

Sir - Am I the only commuter clambering on to South Eastern's trains early each morning to be irritated intensely by the proliferation of fold-up bicycles?

Not only does this quasi-environmental fad lead to a marked reduction in the amount of standing space at rush-hour but the owners of these technological annoyances proceed to sweat in close proximity to other passengers.

Are they really a creditable green initiative? One has only to stand at the entrance of Sevenoaks station at 6.30am to witness a host of city businessmen being dropped off by energy-sapping four-wheel-drive vehicles.

I advocate a prohibitive fare policy for people who habitually drag large chunks of metal on to busy trains merely to satisfy a misguided mission to save the planet.

David Pyle, Sevenoaks, Kent

gazzaputt

He talks bollox

zimzum42

Legendary Member
why do they commute anyway? if they want to work in london they should bite the bullet and live there, not try to pursue some countryside fantasy by living in some crap suburb....

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hairy Jock said:
There we have the views of a typical Telegraph reader, sad isn't it...

'Tis my paper of choice, and was my grandfather's too - I don't mind folding bikes on trains, and I don't think he would have either, for what that's worth :becool:

The real problem is, I suspect that the trains don't have anywhere near enough room (in a civilised country, there'd be space for people and their luggage, maybe even (gasp!) some room for full sized bikes), as any fule kno.

PBancroft

Let us formulate a reply!

Sir,

In reply to David Pyle regarding the proliferation of foldaway bicycles, may I suggest that he find alternative forms of transport if he finds being close to other persons so annoying?

Maybe he could try cycling?

Yours,

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Sir,

Perhaps I could suggest that David Pyle, who finds folding bicycles such an annoyance, allow those with said bicycles to store them in his undoubtedly spacious rectum.

Yours......

domtyler

Über Member
I can kind of understand where he is coming from. If I was catching the train in I would probably be in my suit and feeling nice and clean, I would not want some idiots Brompton pushed up against my leg and for him to proceed to drip sweat all over me. I would be very annoyed.

Ultimately people get annoyed at different things, he is annoyed at people with Bromptons, other people get annoyed at people driving 4x4s, what's the difference?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
regardless of if they have been cycling or not, it's bad form to be dripping with sweat in a cramped train anyway.......

There's something about brompton riders, they always seem to be going hell for leather with their silly little wheels!

Origamist

Legendary Member
The thrust of his argument is misplaced - most people who ride bikes (including folders) do not do so simply for environmental reasons. However, if he had not poured scorn on the Green movement, the letter would not have been published in The Telegraph.

It was disappointing that Mr Pyle was not a retired colonel, but at least he was from the home counties...

Top Bottom