Telephone calls at stupid o'clock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Some people think they can ring this telephone number at anytime of the day regarding (long story short) a local "public" building. But why on ****** earth do they not think about the time and the relative importance of their call.

On Easter Monday, the phone rang at 7.45am, which I ignored. So the same person rang again at 8.30am. Was it urgent, was it ********.
Could easily have waited one hour and been referrred to the right person, and the calller should have known that.

This morning, someone rang at 6.45! ;) Thinking this must be an emergency, I answered it. B*gg*r. It was not in the least urgent, and could have waited until a more reasonable time Tomorrow. :blush: (They wanted to know if a bag of rubbish by the building should go in their skip.)

Christmas Day at 8.15 am, it was someone with a query that they should have thought about the day before, or better still realised it was a question similar to "how long is a piece of string".

Why is it that people are not able to THINK about the time of day before they pick up the phone?

There must be others on this forum, with a similar problem. I do not want to be rude to the callers, but sometimes :smile::blush::sad:

I have caller id on one phone, but still feel I have to answer the phone, in case it is a real emergency. * oh dear ooops Rant over *

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can you give us the number please ?

buggi

Bird Saviour
can't you leave a message asking people not to call at stupid o'clock and tell them to ring back between 9 and 5 on weekday's only?

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Similar to people who turn up at my station with loads of suitcases at like 02:30 in the morning asking when the next train to Heathrow airport is!!!

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
yorkshiregoth said:
Similar to people who turn up at my station with loads of suitcases at like 02:30 in the morning asking when the next train to Heathrow airport is!!!

Your Station? I could put my Ticket Inspector's Hat on (from my time as a volunteer Ticket Inspector at Severn Valley Railway) and help you out if you like. :biggrin::biggrin:

Plax

Guru
Speicher said:
Why is it that people are not able to THINK about the time of day before they pick up the phone?

Because people think we live in a 24/7 society. I blame Tesco's............

Maz

Guru
Sounds manic. What time are you meant to man the phones?
How about an answering machine for out of hours calls?

longers

Legendary Member
My dad (a vet) got a call years ago in the small hours from a woman who said she'd been bitten by a spider and was having palpitations. He patiently listened to her problems and then asked why she didn't phone the doctor.

"Well, I didn't want to wake him up!". He wasn't amused :biggrin:.

yenrod

Speicher said:
Some people think they can ring this telephone number at anytime of the day regarding (long story short) a local "public" building. But why on ****** earth do they not think about the time and the relative importance of their call.

On Easter Monday, the phone rang at 7.45am, which I ignored. So the same person rang again at 8.30am. Was it urgent, was it ********.
Could easily have waited one hour and been referrred to the right person, and the calller should have known that.

This morning, someone rang at 6.45! :biggrin: Thinking this must be an emergency, I answered it. B*gg*r. It was not in the least urgent, and could have waited until a more reasonable time Tomorrow. :biggrin: (They wanted to know if a bag of rubbish by the building should go in their skip.)

Christmas Day at 8.15 am, it was someone with a query that they should have thought about the day before, or better still realised it was a question similar to "how long is a piece of string".

There must be others on this forum, with a similar problem. I do not want to be rude to the callers, but sometimes :ohmy::blush::biggrin:

I have caller id on one phone, but still feel I have to answer the phone, in case it is a real emergency. * oh dear ooops Rant over *

My Uncle & Aunt had telephone No. very similar to a taxi firms No.

I have to hand it to them as they put up with it for 10's of years (what aint broke why don't need fixing etc..)

They changed it when they shifted to cable.

Patience is a VERY admirable trait !

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Maz said:
Sounds manic. What time are you meant to man the phones?
How about an answering machine for out of hours calls?

For any emergencies or important things, this could be anytime, but no where near "manic". I have tried putting the answering machine on, but people seem to think it is important enough to ring early in the morning, but not important enough to leave a message. The ringing of the phone wakes me up. The only two "real" emergencies in the last few months, have, in fact, happened during the day. Its the twerps who ring at silly hours for silly reasons that make me so cross (that's an understatement), and I would not be cross if it was Very Important. I was having a bit of a rant this morning, because it was the second time in a week.

Keith Oates

Janner
I had a similar problem but the other way around on Saturday night. I recieved an e-mail saying an office in New York would call at 0900 NY time on (their) Saturday morning. That's 2100 hours out here, so I stayed in the house until 2130 and still no call. I then called him and he replied he was still in is car on the way to the office. I said it's Saturday night here and I'm going out, he never called back with his so important phone call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom