Telescope News.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

In this week's installment of Telescope News, the iconic Hubble Telescope's backup gyroscope system has failled bring all use to a permanent halt. In Pueto Rico, the iconic disk of the Arecibo radio tesescope has been condemned to destruction following a second cable failure. The world awaits a Chinese replacement.

Apparently STI* updated their Twitteraccount to confirm they're still searching

*Search for Terrestrial Intelligence.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Presumably the string has snapped just like mine

View attachment 559112
I had one of those as a child - it absolutely fascinated me! I wonder what I did with it?

Both 'scopes have done lots of great work. Nothing lasts forever (except a Donald Trump sulk apparently).
I was reading about the Arecibo telescope earlier. I can see why it would be very dangerous to try and repair it, but I reckon that would also apply to 'dismantling' it. I think it will be more a case of demolishing it! :whistle:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
STScI-gallery-1427a-2000x960.jpg

This tiny slice of the universe, speckled with galaxies near and far, tells the story of galaxy evolution over cosmic time. Among the 10,000 or so galaxies pictured here are newborns, adolescents, adults, and retirees

RIP Hubble

https://hubblesite.org/image/3886/category/58-hubble-ultra-deep-field

Reactions: C R

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Presumably the string has snapped just like mine

View attachment 559112
Heck,i had one of those in the late 1960's.🧐

I had one of those as a child - it absolutely fascinated me! I wonder what I did with it?

I was reading about the Arecibo telescope earlier. I can see why it would be very dangerous to try and repair it, but I reckon that would also apply to 'dismantling' it. I think it will be more a case of demolishing it! :whistle:
One of those cases where the problem has solved itself. It collapsed last night...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Such a shame TBH, it's been surpassed by technology, much as Jodrell has, but at least Manchester Uni stumped up significant cash to keep up with the maintenance and restoration after a number of years of neglect. I love spotting Jodrell from near home. Cracking cafe there too.

Top Bottom