Tell about my Gillott?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Hi all,
I've had this Gillott for about 15yrs, I bought it from a clubmate who had it set up for timetrialling with 8sp Vento wheels. The carbon forks may or may not be an abomination to you but they shave a few gramsšŸ˜. It was always going to be a bit of a project and as you see it's ended up as a fixed. Gillott as you know is an old name however this one was sold by one Mark Joynt in Bexley, Kent, he bought the name.
So my main question is regarding the frame material. It's obviously 531 but... I have another frame of 531c and if I compare them the Gillott is lighter, the top tube feels and sounds much thinner... you can actually feel it flex if you squeeze it between your fingers. Would it be 531 professional? There are no frame numbers but apparently that was not unusual.

Attachments

• 20210805_154348.jpg
    20210805_154348.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 5

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wasn't aware the Gillott name was sold after Camberwell closed.
Always had a soft spot for Gillotts after my childhood friend had one, it was also a fixie, in a lovely blue with gold lettering, I really coveted that bike. I recently made contact with him after about fifty years and he says he can't remember it! Only a Cinelli but I digress.
I'm no expert but Reynolds tubing you can flex with finger pressure I don't think so. No chance of getting hold of Mr Joynt I guess? Did he partake of his namesake and took the use of lighter frames and tubing too far?
No decals as it's been resprayed? Which is odd as if it was some flavour of Reynolds most would want to preserve for future sale and value.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I wasn't aware the Gillott name was sold after Camberwell closed.
Always had a soft spot for Gillotts after my childhood friend had one, it was also a fixie, in a lovely blue with gold lettering, I really coveted that bike. I recently made contact with him after about fifty years and he says he can't remember it! Only a Cinelli but I digress.
I'm no expert but Reynolds tubing you can flex with finger pressure I don't think so. No chance of getting hold of Mr Joynt I guess? Did he partake of his namesake and took the use of lighter frames and tubing too far?
No decals as it's been resprayed? Which is odd as most would want to preserve for future sale and value.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
I'm certain that it has not been resprayed, there was a Columbus sticker that had been glued on. Definitely not correct.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I've been having a read around and it seems it is likely 653 tube. Its top tube is significantly thinner walled than 531c. Apparently these later Gillotts were still being built by Ron Cooper, one of Gillotts main builders, and passed onto Mark.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Ron Cooper built frames have a centre punch mark on the BB shell between the chainstays. It can be hard to find.

The bare frame (no forks, no headset cups) would be 4 1/4 lb or less for 531SL/Professional, assuming a size not far off 22" and cast lugs and dropouts.

Attachments

• 20200809_185830.jpg
    20200809_185830.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I had an interesting conversation with Mario vaz today the frame finisher. He worked for for Holsworth, and Mark Joynt who accuired the Gillott name. He says with some authority that this frame would be 751 due to the fact that it has flex on the top tube when pressed with a strong thumb finger
Edit: Pretty sure 653 would feel the same however?

Last edited:
Top Bottom