Tell me how to love hills...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I love hills, but not for the reason you might think. When your heart’s pounding and your lungs are pumping, none of life’s petty distractions such as office politics matter. All that matters in that moment is getting to the top of the hill and that makes hills great stress relievers.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
It also depends upon the surface you’re riding and the type of tyres you have. If you have little grip, it’s better to sit and spin as your body weight will help hold the back wheel to the ground. If you’ve got good grip then out of the saddle in a higher gear may be easier. Personal preference plays a big part too. My son hates riding out of the saddle.

Just keep riding up them. I went from truly hating hills to actively seeking them out and as a result my technique and endurance improved vastly (and back to hating them again after I lost my fitness)
After a while you develop a feel for it, there's a rhythm that is very satisfying once you dial it in.

The problem with being the kind of person to push a big gear when going uphill is that it's not the kind of effort that you can keep repeating on a ride (the muscle fibres used in a big effort are different from those used when spinning, and they tire out *much* more quickly), and if you run out of gas before the top you're left struggling on a smaller gear anyway.

Unless it's a small climb that you know you can power over without losing speed, it's better to shift down early and spin a small gear at a pace you can maintain all the way through.

If you find yourself having run out of gears on a steep climb, alternate between pushing your bottom gear while sitting and shifting up a couple of gears and getting out of the saddle for a short burst. This will break up the monotony, and give some muscle fibres a chance to recover while you use others.

Finally, don't focus on how fast you are on climbs when compared to other people, there will always be people who are faster. It's rare that I find any who are slower than me but I will (usually) get up the hill.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Vary your pace on hills. Attack some to the point where you're struggling to breathe by the top; pootle up others. It's a kind of informal interval training. After a few weeks you should notice a difference.
Riding with others also helps.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Pick a big hill and do it three times . I find the third time is easier than the first and second . Do it a few times and then move on to a bigger hill .
Cake will help .

Boon 51

Veteran
If you can ride out of the saddle try pushing your heel at the back and that will make your calf muscles work as well. Most people's calf muscles are a bit lazy so they need a bit of a push also just check your tyre pressures and make sure they are inflated properly too.
As been said practice and more practice.. Good luck it will get easier I'm sure. :okay:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Like others say just keep going up hill's and try and keep in the best gear that suits you and the hill you are riding up is it worthwhile varying the hills from hard to easy and back to hard ones etc etc

[QUOTE 5435904, member: 9609"]It's advice that is often given but I like to see how far to go so as I can pace myself. Have just started night time riding again and I really don't like not knowing where the top is.[/QUOTE]
I'm the complete opposite. I adore climbing at night. I imagine it's even better in your part of the world.

Any thoughts of performance or training gone. The world disappears, reduced to a cone of light and no noise but the sound of your heart and your breathing and the swish of the tyres. Braw.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Of course, most of you are probably not tackling this kind of thing regularly ... :whistle:

Mytholm Steeps - so near but so far.jpg

Mytholm Steeps - swing wide for evil bend.jpg

I confess that I had just had to dismount when I took the first picture. I've got fitter since then and have managed to get all the way to the top on several occasions.

Practice really does make perfect: it took a while but I now ride happily up hills I previously avoided and don't notice hills that would once have bothered me.

That said I mainly cycle for transport, so to continue your list I take the attitude of (d) You aren't going too slowly if you haven't fallen over yet.

I have to admit that I also frequently decide that (e) Hills are what trams and buses are for.

I got to enjoy hills by doing the same ones regularly and improving each time..two in particular Whiteways in the Purbecks and Lantau HK which i had to walk parts of for the first 2 or 3 attempts then nailed it even when 35 degrees and stoopid humidity. Being 16 stone doesnt help much i must admit.

OP
OP
capricapers

capricapers

Watch the best professional climbers. They're universally skinny, and more and more of them are spinning low gears whilst sitting, rather than trying to force their way up a mountain using strength. Think of it as an endurance activity, not a power activity............and lose those 8lbs!

I’m sure going to try to lose those 8lb. It may seem like harsh advice but I think it’s good advice and I think it’s worth trying hard for. Thank you.

Top Bottom