Tell The Government

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trakentoo

Regular
I've just come across this initiative - The Red Tape Challenge. Basically it's the government setting up a forum for people to moan about which bits of red tape they want to get rid of and how things can be improved. They are currently taking comments on cycling, so if you want to get anything off your chest now is your chance.

http://www.redtapech...ty-and-cycling/

Surely the current push is for more red tape around cycling, insurance, number plates, road tax, the right to kill a cyclist claiming self defence.
What red tape affects cyclists ? Assuming no one actually wants to cycle down a motorway ?The reflectors requirement isnn't rigorously enforced afterall.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'd like to see the pedal reflector thing abolished: if it's not enforced there's no reason to keep it on the books and lots of good reasons not to (inscos could use it in contributory negligence counterclaims)

I'd like to see the ASL law changed to make them legally useful. And decriminalise the offence of driving into them so it could be enforced (as box junctions are) by civilian-operated cameras.

I'd like to see 'left-turn-on-red' rules that would permit pedal cyclists to treat red lights as give-way markings if they are turning left. Or maybe even treat them as give-way markings in any direction

I'd like to see the law on zebra crossings rewritten to not be so damn stupid

I'd like to see a cheaper and easier way of getting cheap bikes in the hands of the public than the present C2W scheme which is a gross kludge on the taxation system.

I'd like to see Assumed Liability but I think that's a big change for a red-tape-reduction exercise

davefb

Guru
I'd like to see the pedal reflector thing abolished: if it's not enforced there's no reason to keep it on the books and lots of good reasons not to (inscos could use it in contributory negligence counterclaims)

i'd not.. i once (just) saw a 5 yr old riding against the traffic at night ONLY because of these... he had nothing else reflective on and whilst at first he looked like a larger rider further away, he was actually difficult to see even with car lights on. luckily its a 20mph zone so not going fast, but was terrifying for me let alone the kid...

probably have to accept you cant have them on eggbeaters though.

Dan B

Disengaged member
i'd not.. i once (just) saw a 5 yr old riding against the traffic at night ONLY because of these... he had nothing else reflective on and whilst at first he looked like a larger rider further away, he was actually difficult to see even with car lights on. luckily its a 20mph zone so not going fast, but was terrifying for me let alone the kid...

probably have to accept you cant have them on eggbeaters though.
... or recumbents. Perhaps it could be amended to allow the use of reflective material (e.g. scotchlite) fitted to cycle or to rider, and with an exemption for bikes where the pedal edges are not visible from front/back. At the least I'd suggest leaving in the requirement to have them fitted at point of sale

Top Bottom