Telling lies and the consequences....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
People prefer the certainly of an untruth (however unplausable ) than uncertainty itself , sadly explains a great deal of things - we don't like not having an answer / not knowing so will accept a 'truth' regardless
I'm not sure I quite agree with the idea that we prefer a lie to uncertainty, but it does bring to mind something I was told about how you should never ask directions in India, the people being so excessively polite and eager to help that rather than admit they don't know, they will give you detailed and entirely fabricated instructions, despite not having a clue.

classic33

Leg End Member
I told Mrs P i was tall dark and handsome,like Drago but then she went and got both cataracts done.
And?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm not sure I quite agree with the idea that we prefer a lie to uncertainty, but it does bring to mind something I was told about how you should never ask directions in India, the people being so excessively polite and eager to help that rather than admit they don't know, they will give you detailed and entirely fabricated instructions, despite not having a clue.
Aye most of em end up in the UK driving taxis. :rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
We've become used to the misrepresentation of facts to suit the underlying message of those imparting the information and, in effect, have given up challenging what we hear. We have become apathetic as a nation.

Politicians are to blame. The media is to blame. And our ever evolving culture is to blame - there once was a time when reasoned debate was the way of things (or at least that's how it seemed to me) but now it seems that the arguments of whoever shouts loudest prevails.

Shouty politicians in the HoC, shouty politicians at hustings, shouty pressure groups, shouty telly, shouty radio; noise - it's what we've become used to.

And amongst all the noise facts get skewed, promises get forgotten and accountability falls by the wayside - lies just disappear into the morass.

Here here! Unfortunately, shouty appears to have become the norm.

Thumpy and slappy also appears to have become much more widespread. Assaults and violence used to be the preserve or the extreme right, but over the last couple of years it appears to have become a popular pastime right across the political spectrum at large gatherings and demonstrations.

No longer can the extreme right alone be described as fascists, as the propensity to use force, threats and unnecessary insults has spread right across the divide. I'm not going to name it, but I'm sure we all know the unexpected political event of recent years that appeared to be a watershed for the spread of this type of behaviour. Even the Guardian, past bastion of fairness and pragmatic reporting, has editorial the has descended to insults, often using quite profane language when doing so.

Many politicians are a disgrace, but perhaps they're only mirroring the morals and behaviour of certain sectors of the public that voted them into service.

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Not necessarily a lie, but may include a lie, also, belief systems, politics, religions, the need for an explanation either when we don't have one yet or there isn't one, most though not all people do not like uncertainty and even an improbable truth or lie is often preferred to uncertainty itself

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Not all are liars. Some make honest mistakes. When he said there were WMD in Iraq, Blair actually meant to say "oil", but fumbled his lines.
WMD / WD40 honest mistake Gov(ernment) ...

Top Bottom