Telly channels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Last Friday I was having problems getting some channels on the telly , so I retuned as requested , all is well but a new channel has appeared , Smithsonian Channel , got to say i like it , lots of interesting documentaries,

It's part of Viacom who also run Channel 5.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Last Friday I was having problems getting some channels on the telly , so I retuned as requested , all is well but a new channel has appeared , Smithsonian Channel , got to say i like it , lots of interesting documentaries,
New channels often get added automatically on Freesat; that one appeared some time ago. Yes, they do have some interesting programmes on there.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
In the current pandemic, Virgin gave us 'free' channels for a few weeks but now they've mainly gone. I'd gladly swap the God channel for the Smithsonian. Also CBS one, plenty of Bible thumping loons on that one...I mistook 'Tomorrows World' for something about science & tech but got some American blathering on about King David etc....

Yes, not bad.
Better I think is PBS America.
Mix of american progs and bbc stuff.
Showed the mega 10 part vietnam doc recently.
Some interesting stuff also turns up on
talking pictures.

Brilliant channel. My wife often has it on.

AndyRM

XOXO
I haven't got a TV.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I generally can't stand the way Americans make 'documentaries'.
Too much repetition, sound effects, flashy graphics and contrived drama. Most of their hour long documentaries could be condensed to 15 minutes and still impart the same amount of information.
Just present the facts in a simple no nonsense manner. We aren't all children with the attention span of a goldfish. :angry:

Too much repetition, sound effects, flashy graphics and contrived drama. Most of their hour long documentaries could be condensed to 15 minutes and still impart the same amount of information.
Just present the facts in a simple no nonsense manner. We aren't all children with the attention span of a goldfish. :angry:
that's a failing of many Brit TV docs as well these days.
But not all.
and not all american ones.
I recommend this, as referred to upthread.
16 and a half hours!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877514/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
and no padding that I recall.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I was a student I found a lot of their text books had the same problem. All flash but little content.

I think we forget how sh1te MOST american TV is. We've been spoilt by Ch4 cherry-picking the best over the years (oh, and The Simpsons!).

Top Bottom