temperature difference between your rides ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
On early shift its 4 c when i go to work and 17 c coming home so a 13 c temp difference i have to take account of , going into work through areas of freezing fog so im dressed up and then coming home its around the warmest part of the day so its summer gear !
Panniers get stuffed with the extra arm/legwarmers/ jacket/ gloves etc for the homeward trip

I think a few months ago I had 0deg in the morning and +10deg at night. Yesterday was pretty mild in the morning 7-8deg on average and at night it had just started to cool down so it was about 15-14deg according to the garmin.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Last night I went out with a group about 7pm and it was around 15°C. We rode to a pub and then spent the evening in there. Coming home the temperature on my Wahoo showed 2°C.

D

Deleted member 1258

It is that weird time of year. Cold mornings and nights, warm days.

Yes, very difficult to get the clothing right, I usually find that if I'm a bit chilly first thing I'll be OK later on.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I knew it had been warm all day on Tuesday because I had been working outside. But still ,when I went out for my evening ride, I robotically put on my same cycling kit that I'd been wearing all winter *. Half way up the first hill I realised the error of my ways.

(* it had been washed regularly!)

Even in summer it can get to low single digit temps overnight. Ask any audaxer.
yep - have terrible memories of trying to ride through a dynamo night in short sleeves.
In truth of course it's not a big problem if you are sensible and are moving to generate heat.
Layering.
And those synthetic mesh things are good - begin with B - can never spell - used by Norwegian army possibly. Have seen them on sale in bike shops in the med. For you can wear them when seriously hot as well.
You don't need to carry much extra bulk at all - not with modern materials.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

..twas the case this morning. A little chilly to start for short sleeves but I soon warmed up.
I was the same this morning, slightly chilly when I left the house at 9 but overdressed by 11:15 when I got back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
In a little while I will dig out the arm-warmers I bought last year. I spent ages avoiding getting them, but found them very useful for those mornings when short sleeves are not enough, but long sleeves are too much for the ride home.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just above zero on leaving for work this morning and a sub zero section with thick frost on the verges, followed by 17°C for the ride home today - leaving at 6am this sort of variation isn't unusual or the other way round when I do the late shift. Thin liner type gloves worn under the mitts, leg warmers and arm warmers are easy to stash in a pocket for the warmer part of the ride, but what to do about the jacket ot thicker jersey outer layer as I don't use panniers (yet as the Ribble is still a few months away).

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
guess im lucky ? my early commutes are pre sunrise when the temperature drops so i miss the worst of the chill although there is always one section where i drop down a hill into a dip that holds the cold and i always a good bit chillier than the rest , then a section that runs by a river tends to get foggy .Where i work is always a bit warmer than home .I have taken the car on a few occasions when its been snowing and got to work and they dont believe me ;)

Top Bottom