Temporary ban on knee problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
There are enough threads to fill a 2088/09 knee manual.

UNKIND TRUTH: if your knee hurts, we cannot solve your problem over the virtual waveyforms of the internet.

GO to the VET and have yourself put down if you can't take the pain.

Sorry in advance for putting yur knees out of joint.

:thumbsup:

I am being serious tho', desist with the feckin' knees!

I haven't been to follow up my x-rays yet, talking of knees.

Fiona N

Veteran
May be we should have a sticky - "Rules of knee pains"

1) If it hurts (knee, that is), stop doing what you're doing.

2) If it still hurts when you stop, ice it and take some ibuprofen.

3) When it's stopped hurting and being sore/swollen, start cycling/running again slowly.

4) If it hurts again, you have one of two problems:
- a problem with your body
- and/or a problem with your bike.

5) In the case of the first, this could be some problem/injury unrelated to cycling but which gives a knock-on effect on your knee(s) e.g. a stiff back, a sore hip, stiff quads etc. You will probably need some professional help from a physio to fix this.

6) In the case of the second, you need to get a proper bike fit and this may resolve the problem without need for a physio, depending on how bad you let it get in the first place.

7) Remember:
- giving an injury time to heal properly,
- rehabilitating the joint through proper exercises
- picking up again with cycling/running/whatever gently
is a sequence more likely to result in the end of the problem than just hoping for the best and for your body to adapt.

8) If in doubt, see a (sports) physio

What do you think?

jimboalee

Some more advice in advance.

Start cycling by having a tricycle for your third birthday.

Then, your knees will develop accordingly.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Today knees, tomorrow training tips and then you will ban talk about bikes .

Last time i looked it was a forum as long as we post and do not offend i think we can post on any subject that fits the vein of the forum.

If the post upsets you or you do not want to know do not read it but to say you do not want to because you have read one before and maybe even given advice is not a good reason to ban them .

Imagine a newbie in need of assistance sees this and think mm not very nice people here maybe i will just hang up my bike :evil:

I could suggest someone for the "Pain In The Arse" or the "I Want To Be A

Censor" thread....:evil:

If you don't want to read the thread then the clue is usually in the title.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Fiona N said:
May be we should have a sticky - "Rules of knee pains"

1) If it hurts (knee, that is), stop doing what you're doing....

May I be the first to contradict this. On an end-to-end, many years ago, I suffered knee pain. I discovered that riding in the saddle and concentrating on technique obviated the problem. A a day further on I was riding well, but the knee pain had transferred to walking mode. I could ride okay, but when walking I needed the bike as a crutch. A day or so still further and the pain had disappeared Motto: keep going.

Noodley

What about my feet?

Fiona N

Veteran
Yes, but, Ian H, you didn't in the meantime post yet another thread asking what to do about your knee pain. In general I would say, if you're worried enough to post on the forum, the rules apply. I too have often had knee pains while cycling but I knew what they where, why it was - well uncomfortable, rather than - painful and was solving the problem under the watchful eye of a sports physio.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Fiona N said:
Yes, but, Ian H, you didn't in the meantime post yet another thread asking what to do about your knee pain. In general I would say, if you're worried enough to post on the forum, the rules apply. I too have often had knee pains while cycling but I knew what they where, why it was - well uncomfortable, rather than - painful and was solving the problem under the watchful eye of a sports physio.

A) I was on a long bike ride.
:wacko: The internet had not, at that time, been invented.
But I wouldn't have posted. Not least because knee problems make me cringe (it dates back to a skiing accident - I shan't describe it).

Top Bottom