Temporary tooth fillings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got a temporary bridge in 1990; it's still in situ.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Those temporary fillings have oil of cloves as a numbing agent. So everything tastes of cloves...
Perhaps get a white filling next time? They stick a lot better than amalgam ones apparently.
IANAD.

Drago

Legendary Member
I had a temporary crown fitted c.1989 by an Army dentist. Never bothered visiting a civvy dentist to get a proper one, and apart from being ever son slightly yellowed its as good as new.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had a temporary crown fitted c.1989 by an Army dentist. Never bothered visiting a civvy dentist to get a proper one, and apart from being ever son slightly yellowed its as good as new.

I asked if any CCers had tried them,but i confess, i've tried them myself. It was many years ago when i had a dentist phobia. Like yours, it lasted for years, till i eventually had the tooth pulled out. The second time the dentist filling came out happened about 45 minutes after it'd been put in. She told me to not eat anything for 30 minutes. I waited 40 minutes then had a pasty. Biting through the pasty i felt a crunch!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm suspicious of amalgam. My Dad had poor dental hygiene and used to scrub his toothbrush back and forth rather than up and down so by his late 40s he had worn away the enamel and exposed sensitive dentine where his gums were receding. Consequently his mouth was an absolute mass of amalgam on the biting surfaces and the sides of all his teeth. Every night before bed he used to munch an acidic green apple and at the age of 50 he was diagnosed with premature senile dementia. I have asked doctors and dentists whether there is any link between mercury in fillings and acid in food and they have all replied that it's never been studied. My belief is that with so much amalgam in his mouth my Dad was slowly poisoning himself with his healthy apple before bed.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My last filling failed before the dentist had finished! The replacement lasted under a month.
He replaced it with a white filling and it's been fine since.

Be careful using clove oil as apparently it can kill the tooth.

Drago

Legendary Member
I asked if any CCers had tried them,but i confess, i've tried them myself. It was many years ago when i had a dentist phobia. Like yours, it lasted for years, till i eventually had the tooth pulled out. The second time the dentist filling came out happened about 45 minutes after it'd been put in. She told me to not eat anything for 30 minutes. I waited 40 minutes then had a pasty. Biting through the pasty i felt a crunch!

When I was a teenager I had some teeth out. These days it'd be done at a dental hospital, but back then the dentist would do it. He never knocked me out properly and though I was immobile and not fully aware I nevertheless felt every ounce of pain.

Not been to a civvy dentist since, and in order to be able to keep it that way I'm a fanatical brusher. A bit of phobia led behaviour, but probably harmless enough.

Tiger10

Über Member
I had a conversation with my dentist about a month ago on fillings and he was adam ant that amalgam was stronger than white, consequentialy I ended up with amalgam at the back out of sight on a molar and white at the front on a tooth that doesn't work as hard.

pplpilot

Guru
I'd not been to the dentist in nearly 30 years... yep you read that right, when I walked out with 3 fillings that to this day my mother an I felt were completely unnecessary, added to the fact I had a deep down loathing of anything remotely medical. Fast forward 30 years and about 3 months ago I broke a tooth...grrrrr this meant the inevitable trip to the dentist, Mrs pplpilot had to make the appointment as I wouldn't, I'll be honest I didn't sleep for days, and the morning of the appointment I drove past the place twice, yea I know pathetic... anyway, went in, dentist had a quick look around put a temporary dressing on and a light clean in one or 2 places, job done. When I told her it'd been 30 year she point blank refused to believe me. I just did the usual electric brush x2 a day and floss, and the fact I have very little sugar in my diet probably helped,
anyway back to fillings, I had the 30 year old ones removed and replaced with white ones and the dressed broken tooth repaired. Her comment to me was white wont last as long as amalgam but she believes the white are better for you.
I don't know why I made such a fuss...

keithmac

Guru
I've had an amalgam filling in for 25 years now and it's still going strong, surviving quite a few toffees over the years!.

I think it's as much to do with the preperation as to the longevity of the filling.

Top Bottom