Temporary traffic light dilema

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
for me its two words - Sprint Training!!

filter past when safe, get close to the front then full gas for the whole section whilst in primary. my fitness sky rocketed when they put some on a slight uphil bit by my work.

Go on green, give it legs :smile:

Sometimes if I'm not sure if I can beat the cars to the end on a particularly long stretch, I may take position two and steal a draft off the first car.

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
I was out riding today when i stopped at some temporary roadworks traffic light. I waited patiently for the lights to turn to green then i set off, trying as hard as i could,in a stiff headwind,to get past the roadworks and let the cars behind pass me. The stretch of roadworks was about 100 yards and the road was too narrow to let anyone attempt to overtake me so i rode in primary till i passed them. Maybe if i'd have set off on red,when i saw the traffic stop at the other lights i would not have held the traffic up and felt that "grrr!! get a move on" feeling,but if i had set off on red maybe i would have felt that "you've jumped a red light" feeling as the cars behind caught me up?
What would you do .Wait till green shows or jump the lights to get out the way of the traffic behind?

Wasn't along Trafalgar in Burnley by any chance was it?

swansonj

Guru
These should be mandatory where there are roadworks.
in_content.JPG
An opportunity to praise @buggi again, who persuaded our company, a not insignificant digger up of roads, to stop putting up "cyclist dismount" signs and start putting up these instead. Along with fitting extra mirrors and cameras to lorries.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That's a killer when it happens! Maybe it's not a good idea as some suggest,to wave a few cars through if the stretch of roadworks is a long one?
That's why I like to be at the front in those ones, so although I'm holding up the traffic, I've got the most time to get through, and it's obvious that I haven't jumped the lights. Otherwise see if there is an alternative route.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Driver's can't have it both ways. they don't like us breaking the law, riding on pavements or jumping red lights so NONE OF YOU should feel in any way intimidated if you ride through first. Personally, i wouldn't bother to wave any through first either, because you are then reducing yourselves to a "second class" vehicle. Remember, you pay for your "road tax" so you paid for the privilege to ride through those road maintenance works how you damn well like LOL

It shouldn't need signs to explain it.

No, it shouldn't, but don't knock it because it's practically giving the driver an instruction to give you priority, not just take care around you!

An opportunity to praise @buggi again, who persuaded our company, a not insignificant digger up of roads, to stop putting up "cyclist dismount" signs and start putting up these instead. Along with fitting extra mirrors and cameras to lorries.

Thanks, have to also give a big up to Simonr and our fleet guys too. the team done good! Even if you do see a cyclist dismount sign, remember its only advisory, not mandatory, anyway.

albion

Guru
Temp lights you simply have to use judgement.

Anyone doing the C2C when going up Crawleyside bank, at the temp lights just jump on the footpath to your right.
Cars will appreciate it too.

Top Bottom