Ten speed?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by HJ, 22 Apr 2010.

1. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

*Checks my road bike beside me and counts triple 10 speed - just to make sure like, then clicks link and notice it's referring to MTB sets*

3. e-rider

e-rider crappy member

Would be pointless if, as the article says they increase range eg. 11-36. I already think 11-34 is pointless for most riders and I always buy 11-32. Also chain length will be impossible to get right using a 22/32/44 chainset with 11-36 cassette.

If however, cassettes are available in say 11-32, 10 speed version then all well and good. Don't expect the first ones available to be any good though. It took 2 years to get 9 speed cassettes sorted when they were launched in 1999.

4. beatleandrew

beatleandrew New Member

Didn't realise you rode a triple - is that on the Roubaix?

5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

No mate, my commuting bike, A secteur.

6. beatleandrew

beatleandrew New Member

I see, thought I would have noticed if you'd had a triple on the other bike!

7. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

--and today you'll be hard pressed to find an 8-speed bike in good running order.

I have a working eight-speed cassette on my MTB. I was always too tight resisted the urge to buy a nine-speed cassette as I couldn't see the point of spending the extra money for one more cog, and that is without knowing the downsides of the chains wearing out faster and the gear changers being more tempermental.

8. RedBike

RedBike New Member

I'm rather glad i've gone back to single speed on the MTB now.

A 9 speed MTB chain is normally about £10. Whereas a 10 speed road bike chain is £15/£20. Chains (and cassettes) wear out horrendously quickly on the MTB so this extra cost could well become an issue.

9. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

For ages my default bike was 7 speed, 12-32 with a 38T chainset. Got me up most hills around here.
    My carbon bike has 10 speed 105 on it, but frankly it was fine with 8 speed Sora.

10. raindog

raindog er.....

I run 8 speed campag on one of my bikes - it's perfect.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice