Tendinitis in my ankle/shin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham

Over the last couple of days I've developed a bit of an ache/pain in my ankle. It's actually on the front of my ankle, just below my shin. I can feel it on the bike and when I walk around. It's not too bad at the moment but wondered if anyone had experienced similar?

I have recently (4 weeks) started commuting 25 miles a day, 5 days. I've ridden quite a bit before that (did the etape Cymru in sept) but usually every other day.

Also I've been riding in trainers rather than proper road shoes with cleats. my theory about this is that I think my toes are on the pedals therefore putting more strain on the tendons in my ankle/shin area. On my 'best bike' I have the balls of my feet on the pedals rather than my toes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes I suffered that same. Your symptom's mirror mine exactly. Basically it's an inflammation of the tendon and tissues causing lot's of little tears. These tears need to heal and dependent on how bad can take a while. Go see your doctor to confirm as it can be quite serious. Do not try to exercise through the pain, you will only make it worse.

If it is confirmed you will need 2 weeks minimum off the bike, maybe longer and take anti-inflammatories. ( It took me 3 weeks)
You will then need to build up the exercise again slowly.
It's apparently more prevalent in runners then cyclists.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Ouch - my sympathies!

I have Fibromyalgia and I get a lot of soft tissue injuries, mainly micro tears - they are painful and not a lot can be done for them except wait for them to heal.

OP
OP
G

Graham

Thanks all, I appreciate the replies. Hopefully it's not too bad as I've only noticed it in the last couple of days rather than riding on it for weeks. I will rest up with some ibuprofen and see what happens.

Any thought on my pedal/shoe theory (hint: I'd really like to buy some winter boots eg northwave fahrenheit but need to overcome the price so need some justification!)

ScotiaLass

Guru
Thanks all, I appreciate the replies. Hopefully it's not too bad as I've only noticed it in the last couple of days rather than riding on it for weeks. I will rest up with some ibuprofen and see what happens.

Any thought on my pedal/shoe theory (hint: I'd really like to buy some winter boots eg northwave fahrenheit but need to overcome the price so need some justification!)

Rest it for a few days and see what happens. If no improvement then see your GP, as slow-motion suggested.
As for the boots, I can't comment!
I'm a nightmare when it comes to shoes....I stick to certain shoes and hate buying new shoes! My husband loves me for that! :laugh:

OP
OP
G

Graham

I reckon if I go to the doc now, he will tell me to rest it for a bit and then go back, so I may as well rest it now. Then he will tell me to see a consultant which will presumably take forever on the NHS.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I reckon if I go to the doc now, he will tell me to rest it for a bit and then go back, so I may as well rest it now. Then he will tell me to see a consultant which will presumably take forever on the NHS.

The usual route before they refer you to a hospital consultant is to try every avenue first....so rest and drugs, followed by physio.
Times vary round the country but there is a Government standard of 16 weeks from referral, to get an appointment with a consultant.

Hope the rest does the trick for you!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
But you don't need to pay extra.
You could of course move to another country and have to pay through the nose for every single meeting with the doc.

When I had tendonitis (I used to run a lot) I saw the doc who referred me and I saw a consultant within a fortnight. I thought that was a pretty good time frame, especially as I had been told to rest for at least 2 weeks. Turns out I am still resting as the tendon is buggered right up.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Go to a physio or a biometrics expert,you will need to look at short turn how to heal the problem then more important what caused it, a prescription of stretching will help,I had the same in the rear of my ankle,calves to tight not enough flexibility,i had to do loaded stretching and had a full biomechtric assessment,I now use orthotics in all shoes ,on a positive note I was allowed to carry on riding,but with low gears and high cadence ,but no running

OP
OP
G

Graham

Thanks All, hopefully a few days/week off the bike will help. Will try some physio too, might help the healing process. I'm starting to think I've had this before so fingers crossed it just needs some rest and it's just been made a bit wore by cycling everyday and bad shoe choice.

Hopefully I won't need anything more than that - good to hear that consultants can be seen fairly quickly sometimes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ice or heat to the area too, whichever feels better or both :smile:

I doubt you'll need a consultant unless it starts to become a chronic /intractable issue

Rest, anti-inflammatories and physio the first steps for any tendon issue (unless ruptured and you'd really know about that)

Top Bottom