Tenn Whisper Lightweight Waterproof Breathable jacket - opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Anyone got any waterproof jacket recommendations for a tight budget?

The tenn jacket in the subject is reduced to £15 on Amazon tonight, but is reported not to be very breathable.
I'm thinking of extending my commute to 8 miles, not far enough to need a 'Rolls Royce' solution, so maybe the Tenn jacket is sufficient . Especially as I can jump on a train in really bad weather.

Am also tempted to try a non-camo goretex jacket from one of the military surplus websites, but that wouldn't be designed for cycling use.

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
At £15 it would appear to be a bargain, the review here gives a detailed breakdown of the numbers related to the waterproof abilities of the jacket, http://tenn-outdoors.co.uk/products/tenn-mens-whisper-waterproof-cycling-jacket

You can get cheap waterproof jackets from lots of outlets, I bought one from decathlon for£15.It's ideal as a lightweight packable get you out of trouble jacket and perfectly adequate for a two or three hour ride but it's not high end and doesn't have many features,

I haven't seen the tenn jacket you mentioned (thought I'd add that for the review police) but their stuff is usually at the good end of the chosen price point ( I can say that because I have some of their stuff)

Trying stuff on may not always be possible but it's a good idea if you can.

Edit: just looked at the link. again, I haven't seen, felt, used or anything the jacket, as long as it fits, and you can still get it for £15, it looks like it's worth a gamble

Last edited:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I can't really give you any advice regarding the jacket but I've just bought a pair of Tenn winter gloves. They were about £12 and appear really well made. I reckon it's worth taking a punt on at that price.

GOAB

AnthonyC

Regular
Sounds like a good bargain indeed. But this Black Friday weekend you may well be able to shop around and get a higher spec and better looking jacket for around £20 - £25. Depends a bit on what you're after in the end, you won't find a quality jacket much cheaper than the £15 deal you've got at hand.

OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Got the jacket, one size larger than my chest would suggest. Fitted well in the house and mirror, but out on the bike it felt tight across the pecs, under the 'pits and down the arms; felt light it was straining at the seams.
Have marked it was 'incorrect sizing' and returned it.,

Felt a bit 'boil in the bag' anyway. You get what you pay for.

Top Bottom