Tensor cycles ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
Was gifted a bike yesterday.A lazer custom by tensor cycles Darlington The frame was made in west Germany but the bike was built in darlington anyone know anything about this company

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Not much, they used to do cheapish bikes that you could buy mail-order, I had one for for a few years when I was a kid. It got me around and I liked it enough but it was probably pretty cheap.

They were pretty common in the late 70s- they were affordable 'racers', some were badged under the Rudi Altig name. Sort of thing you might get if your parents couldn't spring for a Raleigh Arena. There isn't much information online (that I can find). At least some of the frames were made by Velo Schauff but I don't know if others were made by other manufacturers in West Germany.

OP
OP
arch684

arch684

Veteran
Not much, they used to do cheapish bikes that you could buy mail-order, I had one for for a few years when I was a kid. It got me around and I liked it enough but it was probably pretty cheap.

They were pretty common in the late 70s- they were affordable 'racers', some were badged under the Rudi Altig name. Sort of thing you might get if your parents couldn't spring for a Raleigh Arena. There isn't much information online (that I can find). At least some of the frames were made by Velo Schauff but I don't know if others were made by other manufacturers in West Germany.
thanks for the reply Not sure what i will do with the bike may restore it

puffinbilly

Veteran
That brings back memories - I had a Rudi Altig bike in my teens after I managed to lose a pretty expensive bike - I remember the brakes never really worked and approaching every junction was met with trepidation.:stop: Even the tyres didn't inspire confidence - they were called Dai Yung - I kid you not.:ohmy:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Was gifted a bike yesterday.A lazer custom by tensor cycles Darlington The frame was made in west Germany but the bike was built in darlington anyone know anything about this company

I'm from Darlington and very few folk there held Tensor in high regard. The company existed to make a fast buck and had no ambitions to be a highly regarded bicycle manufacturer. They were the poundshop of the bicycle makers. They assembled bicycles from poor quality components. There were numerous tales of forks breaking, bottom brackets self disassembling and an inability to stop using brakes alone.

Tensor still exists as Tensor Marketing and are still in the same part of Darlington trading from the Good Ideas web site. http://www.goodideas.uk.com/index.php?route=common/home

OP
OP
arch684

arch684

Veteran
I'm from Darlington and very few folk there held Tensor in high regard. The company existed to make a fast buck and had no ambitions to be a highly regarded bicycle manufacturer. They were the poundshop of the bicycle makers. They assembled bicycles from poor quality components. There were numerous tales of forks breaking, bottom brackets self disassembling and an inability to stop using brakes alone.

Tensor still exists as Tensor Marketing and are still in the same part of Darlington trading from the Good Ideas web site. http://www.goodideas.uk.com/index.php?route=common/home
I gave it a service and changed the bottom bracket.After reading how bad they were it now sit on the turbo and it will remain there

nuovo_record

I had one, the freewheel didn't and the forks snapped while I was riding it. Got replaced eventually by a Peugeot

albion

Guru
Tensor were maybe the first of the national discounters so bad press was the norm, understandable when your local bike shop charged near double.
I had one of their higher end bikes and it served me well for a good few years until a big crash wrote it off. The basic bikes and maybe even the better ones were high tensile steel(thus the weaker forks), and from East Germany.

My brother had a Peugeot back then but that got ruined from only one single winter in the wooden garden shed. There was even rust on the rust.

Maybe that name Tensor got inspired by the hi tensile steel material?

Last edited:
Top Bottom