Tents for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
After some recommendations for tents for some basic touring.

Planning on riding Hampshire to Cornwall over a few days with overnight camping. It would be solo, but am thinking I'd like a tent to have space to put the bike under cover overnight - security mainly. But then the tent could also double up for me and our young son to go on shorter camping trips so tent would need to be durableish.

My bike as a rear rack and I have a bar roll bag and happy to put a cross bar bag on to helo break up any bulk.

I've seen several tents in Decathlon and Blacks, but wondering if aby CC'ers have any recommendations/warnings to avoid.

TIA

Jameshow

Veteran
Need to be pretty big to hold your bike too.

Too big imho to cycle tour with.

Vango soul 200/300 are good basic tents.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
This is perfect. Light and huge. Does me perfectly.
20230608_183249.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i think I'd struggle to comfortably get me and my bike in my 4man tent... and I'd rather not cycle any distance with all that bulk. I have a much smaller 2man which easily packs into one pannier.

Jameshow

Veteran
I just put my tent guys though the frame anyone who going to steel it will drop the tent in me!

But it's only a £100 bike I generally use!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I just lock it up near the tent. I think the chance of it being stolen is infinitesimal. There are other things to worry about should you wish to.
Regarding tents, I'd get a two man tent, even if you intend going alone, the extra space is well worth it.
I have a Saunders Spacepacker (no longer made) and a Vango Havoc 200. The Havoc stands up much better in winds, but the Spacepacker is miles quicker to erect. If I'm moving on every day I take the Spacepacker, if not, I take the Havoc.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I have a Vango Pulsar 300 which has a porch big enough for a bike at a push. The porch is more useful for two adults to shelter during a typical day in the Lake District.

Top Bottom