Tents, trikes and trailer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Out for a coffee with a few friends (including HelenD123 and Spandex) a couple of weeks ago, we hatched a plan to camp over the Bank Holiday weekend, just two nights away not too far from home. The original idea was to spend one might each at Linton Lock and Ripley Castle, but Ripley was full, so we managed to get two nights at Linton instead, with a Saturday ride to who-knows-where.

Having enjoyed a spin out on his Ratrike, and having built a trailer to tow behind it, Night Train said he thought he might like to come camping, so we were six, with ranges of camping experience from 'lots' to 'not all that much'.

So, on Friday evening, we met up in the middle of York. I'd managed to get most of what I needed on my Catrike, and NT, being amply provided with trailer capacity, was carrying my larger two person tent, along with his own stuff and a few emergency provisions.

5777247673_8840bd2c94.jpg

5777248517_3da36300df.jpg

After a little stocking up in M and S, we hit the road, bumping down the cobbled slope to the riverside path north out of York. Dodging a few pedestrians at first, we were soon onto the meadows, alive with flowers,

5777249061_b8471a7f61.jpg

and also littered with cattle grids. At least on three wheels I can cross them without breaking onto a cold sweat, but they made the going a little bumpy. It was already clear that NT's trailer was tracking perfectly behind the trike, making even chicanes relatively easy going. The northern end of the path had thankfully been resurfaced since I was last along there, smooth tarmac replacing gravel. Over the miniature Forth Bridge and we were out onto the quiet roads. By most people's standards we're in the flattest of flatlands, but NT did find some ofthe railway bridges and slight slopes were a bit of a task - but then he was on the equivalent of an HGV!

5777249769_eae30164b7.jpg

5777250457_d67fbed9d9.jpg

We stopped at Overton on a slight rise to admire the top of the Minster visible behind us in the low evening sun, and, on the hills in the distance, the Kilburn White Horse - which led to a quick lesson for John and Cathy on British chalk figures, and an exhortation to Google the Cerne Abbas Giant one day....

After a breather we were on again, past the Italian-restaurant-in-a-railway-carriage that sits beside the East Coast mainline, and onto Beningborough Hall, where NT got cramp, and Spandex expressed a desire to try the KMX, while NT tried out his trike, a Kettwiesel delta trike. With Spandex (whose calf muscles are the stuff of legend) in the lorry driving seat, and NT enjoying a lighter ride, we picked up speed, through Newton on Ouse and....

SNAP!

The Ratrike chain, feeling its age, gave up. Fortunately, we had tools and experts aplenty, and the broken link was soon out and the chain rejoined. Meanwhile, Helen entertained us with her new mittens.

5777791852_cc6eee99e4.jpg

The last leg was barely a mile, and we were soon swooping, as best as one can on gravel, down the drive to the Linton Lock campsite. We were soon booked in, and setting up on a strip of ground beside the river - taking great care to position doorways on the land side, not the waterside, to prevent unexpected nocturnal swimming. With our home from homes set up, we repaired to the lockside pub for dinner, and a beverage or two.

Saturday we were up bright and early, well, early anyway, it's hard to lie in in a tent. John and Cathy produced the groceries they'd picked up the day before, and rustled up a brilliant breakfast of falafel, houmous and wraps, while we brewed tea or coffee according to taste.

5777793436_0f6b8e5681.jpg

5777794212_a683a95843.jpg

We weren't in any great rush, and aimed to head for Easingwold and take it from there. First, there was a bit of trike fettling to do, to calm the rear derailleur down a little, since it had a tendency to choose its own sprockets.

5777795888_cdf44f8542.jpg

The weather was breezy, and we had a little rain, but nothing too major. We did some gentle offroading on a dirt track, which included a couple of low barriers across the way, intended to allow a horse to step over. I proved the lightness of my trike by lifting it over the first, and it's maneouvrability by skirting the second via the narrow cycle chicance - NT on the now lighter Ratrike was able to follow me through, our track being almost identical. Back on tarmac we hauled ourselves over a few bridges, and past some sculpture

5777796662_7ebdc78178.jpg

and into Easingwold, where we decided that a cafe named Yum Yums needed exploration. Over coffee and elevenses, John, Cathy, Helen and Spandex planned their onward jaunt into the hills. NT felt that would be too much for his legs and the Ratrike, so we decided to do the shopping for dinner and take a relaxed pootle home to chill out with books. So we waved the others off, stretched our legs with a walk round the town, and stocked up on provisions for dinner, which disappeared into NT's capacious homemade panniers.

Our ride back was mainly into the wind, typically, which made it all the nicer to get back, brew up and sit in our ready made camp chairs in the sun - perhaps THE best reason to have a recumbent trike! We also watched a rather nice broadbeam barge arrive at the lock, and went up to helo with the gates and watch it go through.

5777798522_a0ef768c28.jpg

NT was also suffering from a rubbing rear mudguard, so he got his Leatherman out, and sawed a bit off, leading to some unusual debris in the cassette - sawdust!

5777799110_c9fbdbf63e.jpg

Not long after, the rest of the party got back, and while they showered, we set to, chopping veg and getting pasta on to cook. We had three stoves, and a selection of pans, none very big, so it was all a bit of a juggling act, but before too long we had a gourmet dinner for 6 served up.

5777259101_560fea3e74.jpg

And then we chatted the evening away, gradually adding layers as the sun went down.

Overnight, I woke a few times to the tell tale patter of rain on canvas, and it was still pattering when morning arrived. Never mind, with a couple of spare tarps, a footprint and my tent's capacious porch (thank goodness I packed the larger porch, not the small one) plus some trike anchoring points, we constructed an additional shelter and windbreak, just big enough for us to sit and cook.

5777800672_72cd84fb16.jpg

We had eggs and bread aplenty, and leftover wraps from the day before, so I got on with scrambling the egg, and tea and coffee were brewed and we feasted and talked and brewed up more tea and coffee to go with more bread and jam (thanks to Gromit, for the jam, delicious!) After what seemed like all morning, I looked at my watch to find that it was only 9am! So there was no rush to pack up, and anyway, our tents were still wet, although the rain had abated and a stiff breee promised to help dry things out. So we did some preliminary packing up, and helped a couple of chaps in a Canadian canoe who were heading downstream in to York for the day. The help they needed was to persuade a Jack Russell and a chocolate labrador to get in the canoe with them! The labrador was disinclined to settle and we watched them as they paddled off, canoe rocking to cries of "Sit down, Molly!". We feared they might get very wet. After that we took a walk along the river to Newton on Ouse, for lunch in the Blacksmiths Arms. As we left, it looked to be chucking it down again and we despaired of wet tents, but it was a passing shower and we walked back in glorious sun.

Tents were soon struck, and by some miracle all my various stuff went back in its bags without too much swearing - the tent normally needs sitting on at least. With everything back on the bikes and trikes, and the trailer hitched again, we took our leave, and enjoyed, for once, a brisk tailwind and sun.

5777801206_571e145104.jpg

Once again there was a bit of trike swappery, and a quick stop at Beningborough Hall for a photo op.

5777261239_ac3706a835.jpg

5777262193_ea98fbd000.jpg

At one stage I glanced in my mirror to see what I thought was a small sports car right behind me, before I realised it was the left front wheel of the Ratrike, and the left wheel of the trailer directly behind it, powered by John. Back in York we stopped for a final icecream and were relieved to spot a familiar Canadian canoe, complete with two humans and two canines, none of whom looked wet. They had a job on their hands, paddling against both wind and current, but cheerfully returned our waves of recognition.

All in all, a very fine little trip. NT and I did about 50 miles in total, the other more, with more hills. Despite some damp, we were warm enough and relatively comfy, and the company was great. NT's trailer proved doubly useful as a low table with the wheels popped out, and turned out to track wonderfully well, and of course, provide a TARDIS level of luggage room. He's already working olut how to shed some weight from the rig - which will of course allow the carriage of even more biscuits!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Nice write up, Arch, it was good to have got out for a ride with good company after being stuck indoors ill for nearly 3 weeks.

The Rat'n'tag (Ratrike and trailer) performed really well all things considering.
When the chain broke while Spandex was piloting it it was the quick link that gave up. The look he gave me, when I admitted it was the same knackered chain that came with the trike with just the twisted links removed, was priceless.:blink:
I am aware that chains are consumables but its a Ratrike!:biggrin:

The trailer, part by luck and part by design, tracked perfectly. At one point while John was piloting the Rat'n'tag I was following and watched as the tyres left wet lines after a puddle. The trailers wheels followed within an inch of the front wheels.
It was hard work for me to pedal but that was partly down to a significant amount of bearing and brake drag on the Ratrike's wheels and my own current lack of fitness and less to the weight of the trailer. The trailer itself rolled really well and was barely noticable even on hills.

I demonstrated the Rat's agility returning through York when Arch lost her hat to the wind by the cathedral. Instinctively I shot off in pursuit chasing the hat with the Rat'n'tag through bollards and flying off a high kerb. The Rat then managed to climb the kerb back onto the pavement, to return Arch's hat, and back on track to drop off stuff at Arch's flat before returning to the car.

Here are my photos.

Having parked up near Arch's work I triked in to the compound to wait for her.
DSC01759.jpg

We then set off in convoy to the meeting spot in York by the fountain.
DSC01765.jpg

A random campsite photo.
DSC01766.jpg

The view from the tents.
DSC01767.jpg

Arch and a lock gate.
DSC01768.jpg

The bread mountain.
DSC01770.jpg

Ummm, there's no pedals!
DSC01780.jpg

These are John's photos.

This bit hurt, must add more padding to the seat!
IMG_1611.jpg

Two men, two dogs and a canoe.
IMG_1669.jpg

Tunnocks Teacake cycle stand while fettling the Ratrike's rear mech.
IMG_1628.jpg

My favorite photo of the weekend. It looks like I am leading but everyone just fell back so I wasn't last.
IMG_1618.jpg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My Grandpa had a tractor like that ... nice write-up's and photos... I camped too but with a car and huge tent ... no bikes :sad:

Night Train

Maker of Things
The tractor had a sign that invited kids to sit on it. Young Arch included herself in that catagory.

My Grandpa had a tractor like that ... nice write-up's and photos... I camped too but with a car and huge tent ... no bikes :sad:

We saw a lot of car campers with huge tents. Some of which could have housed the car as well as the campers.:tongue:

I usually hate camping but I think the cycling and the great company made all the difference.:thumbsup:
Paid the price though, back at the GPs today and he sick noted me for another two weeks!:sad:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Paid the price though, back at the GPs today and he sick noted me for another two weeks!:sad:

:sad: Oh no. We broke you....

Night Train

Maker of Things
:sad: Oh no. We broke you....
Not broke, just a little worn out. I'll survive but I think my GP guessed that I hadn't been resting as much as I was supposed to.:blush:

Tunnocks Teacakes, Pringles and Kiplings cakes.... my sort of cycling trip!

There were also chocolate digestives, wine gums, American hard gums and jelly babies in the trailer.

Arch, I found one of your water bottles in the trailer when I unpacked it. I'll look after it until I see you next, unless you need it back sooner.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not broke, just a little worn out. I'll survive but I think my GP guessed that I hadn't been resting as much as I was supposed to.:blush:

Does he read Cyclechat? ;)

There were also chocolate digestives, wine gums, American hard gums and jelly babies in the trailer.

See, that's why one needs a trailer!

Ooh, here's an idea. Mobile pick 'n' mix...

Arch, I found one of your water bottles in the trailer when I unpacked it. I'll look after it until I see you next, unless you need it back sooner.

Oh, yes, I remember putting it in. No hurry for it, I have plenty. A good excuse to drag you out again sometime!

Top Bottom