Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From recent experience I can wholeheartedly recommend the MSR Hubba Hubba HP. It weighs under 2kg, pitches in around 3 mins, and can go up outer first if you also buy the footprint that comes seperately. This in particular is highly recommended. It normally costs £300, but we got ours new for around £200 (in a sale), and the footprint is another £30.

There's bags of room inside for two people, and it has a porch either side which means you can store your panniers and stuff you don't need in the tent inner there.

It's a fantastic tent.

smeg

Do you need to be able to cook in the vestibule (porch) in nasty weather? If so you'll need a tent that has a large porch enough for this to be possible and safe. Gas stoves only for this unless you want to gas yourself with a hexi-burner or set fire to yourself.

smeg

I have one of these:
http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Vango/Spirit200Tent.aspx
http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=51104102

Small pack size, fairly lightweight, big porch and cheap-ish. My only slight criticism with this tent is that it can suffer a bit from condensation, it's ventilation could be better but to be fair it's more to do with the conditions - things can get a bit damp out in the wilderness in the Highlands in October and when it's cold what's wet stays wet.

smeg

pinkkaz said:
Has anyone tried the Wild Country Duolite Tourer?
Don't get a Wild Country tent (cheap end of the Terra Nova range although not that cheap!), they are bulky, heavy, flappy and probably too small (low height/headspace). I made the mistake of buying a Wild Country Hoy tent, I sent it back it was crap for several reasons.

Bear in mind manufacturers tell lies as well, 2.95kg packed weight isn't light in any case and you'll need to add at least another 200g for it's real weight. Same applies to sleeping bags they're always a bit heavier than their claimed weight.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Thanks again to all for these suggestions. I've bitten the plunge and taken the bullet and ordered a Hilleberg Nallo 2GT. Not yet read a bad comment about them (other than the price!!).

I bought one a couple of months ago, used it on a couple of different trips so far, absolutely superb, goes up in a few seconds, totally water proof, had some fun West of Scotland and Brecon Beacons rain to test it in, it packs up to a very small size, and the pegs are a work of art.

Top Bottom