Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I am looking for suggestions for a good tent that I can carry on my bike for touring. I have a camping trip planned for the end of March in which I'll be cycling to Hereford, staying over for the weekend and cycling home. Also I am considering attempting the LeJOG sometime during the summer.

Currently my lightest tent is a small Vango tunnel tent which weighs in at a not so light 3.5 kg. I would be hoping to get something that weighs under 2kg ideally. Price, well anything under £100 would be great but I know that there may not be anything suitable and of good quality for that amount. My main requirement is that I have enough space to sit upright and comfortably take me + panniers.

At the moment the Vango Banshee 200 is looking the most suitable, just about the right size for me and at a good price. I did consider the Apex 200 but the flimsy-looking vent didn't appeal. I would appreciate other's thoughts on this though :thumbsup:

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.

Brommyboy

Über Member
I would spend a bit more and go for a Macpac Microlight: weighs about 1.5 kg, easy to erect but sufficiently roomy without being bulky to carry. Cost about £200, but well worth it!

rollinstok

Salewa Micra is 1.9kg very roomy for 1 and will squeeze 2 in, sturdy in wind, and has lasted me well for many tours since buying it about 9 years ago. £130.

willem

Über Member
The lightest tent would be something like a Terra Nova Laser at about 1 kg for 200 pounds in their sale. The lightest comfortable tents are about 2 kg, or perhaps a bit less. However, if budget is this tight I would just use the tent that you have.
Willem

jay clock

Massive member
My Decathlon one above is under 1.9kg

Nick M

Vango Spirit 200+ ...............weighs a bit but the extra porch is worth its weight in gold. Loads of room & well worth the sacrifice !!

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
ask 20 people which tent and you'll get 20 tents to choose from very confusing .:banghead:

Tell me about it!

Seriously though the Zephyros 2 and either the Vango Banshee or the Spirit look like the best. My budget is very strict and I cannot really go much above £100 even for the best of tents.

Top Bottom