Suggest a 2 man tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am hoping 2012 is going to have a blazing hot summer and we can get out and do a lot of touring.

We are looking for a top class 2 man, lightweight tent.

Any suggestions?

Steve

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Look at three man tents as two man tents are pretty cramped with two people in them.

Here's a web site to start your searching: Cheap tents

The title is a misnomer it should really be cheaper tents.

Decide how you want a tent to work for you before you start looking. If it's for two people, ideally you want each person to be able to get in an out without climbing over each other. Decide how much storage space and space for cooking is needed. Also consider the pacticalities of carrying the tent ie pack size and weight.

willem

Über Member
If you are looking for top class, and if low weight is not your top priority, the Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT is superb. The Hilleberg Nallo 3 (non gt version) is rather lighter, and a bit less robust than their Keron and Nammatj series. The MSR Hoop is even lighter, much cheaper, but less suitable for extreme conditions.
Willem

Depends on you budget and what you class as lightweight, and how big the two of you are and how much kit you want to fit in.

As mentioned I would look carefully at sizes and possibly go for a 3 man. IMO you can't go far wrong with Vango and they cater for all budgets and requirements.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
To make things a little clearer.

We are not new to camping, we have been camping all over Europe for many years but we usually travel by motorbike where weight is not a concern.

A 3 man tent would be more suitable so we can store our panniers in the tent with us. We do not need an extreme weather tent but obviously needs to keep out heavy downpours. We are both about 5'8" tall and slim.

Very lightweight is what we are looking for as we will be using road bikes with rear panniers. Price is not a concern.

We are also looking for lightweight but comfortable sleeping bags and mats as the ones we use on the motorbike are too bulky.

Steve

For touring next summer I will be using:

Sleeping bag: Vango Venom 400 + silk liner

Tent Vango Banshee 200 - for 2 + panniers would recommend either 300 or Tempest 300 (which gives a porch area)

Mat: Vango Grasshopper Ultralite (full)

Total weight 3.3kg cost c£200

Obviously the more you spend the lighter you can get.

I borrowed a Vaude Mk II to camp at Mildenhall a couple of years back and thought it was excellent. Decent space, easy pitch, it's a 3 man tent that will easily accommodate 2 plus associated stuff in style. From memory it packed pretty small and light, and I know the guy I borrowed it from uses it for cycle-camping with his grandaughter - she does take some of the luggage, but he is carting most of the kit!

YahudaMoon

Über Member
As everyone else has pointed out I not sure if a two man tent would be comfortable ?

I use the Terra Nova Laser Competition 2011 edition. It fits two though I would not like to share it with anyone

It's predecessor suffered from condensation problems though the 2011 edition has fixed it with a new vent system and it packs smaller. It also packs stupidly light and small

I think they retail at £230 - £350 though the older model was going for under £200 last year

spec for the 2011 edition
    • Sleeps: 1 - 2
    • Minimum Weight: 0.87kg
    • Packed Weight: 0.93kg
    • Packed Size: 40x12cm
    • Range: 3 season backpacking
    • Flysheet: Si/Si Nylon R/S 3000mm
    • Floor: Si/Si Nylon R/S 5000mm
    • Poles: 8.55mm DAC Featherlite
  • Pegs: 12 x 2g Titanium

willem

Über Member
OK this makes it clearer. As for tents, I would point you to the discontinued MSR Hubba Hubba HP (only the HP version), The Tarptent Scarp 2, or the new for 2012 Easton Kilo 3 person variant: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...d=35678&startat=100&id=jpxfNWcH:94.214.168.11
Also: http://upadowna.com/gear/review/easton-kilo-3p-tent
Mattresses are important because modern ones have very low weight and packed volumes. My suggestion: Thermarest Neoair Xlite or Xtherm depending on required temperature range.
Sleeping bags: PhD are the champs.
If you need panniers, have a look at the Pacific Outdoors LWT small, at just over a kilo for 36 litres.
Willem

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'd highly recommend the Terra Nova Laselarge 3. Huge porch, spacious inner, very light (2kg) and hardy and waterproof. Sadly it appears to be discontinued but you may be able to find one still. Mine was c £300.

DSCN0677.jpg

Top Bottom