Well it's booked- my adventure with the little man...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I might be a bit crazy, but I've just planned and booked my bikepacking adventure with my 18 month old (will be 20 months when we go). We're not going far, and will only be 30 miles from home at the farthest point, but it doesn't matter. It's about the 2 of us having some quality time together and Mummy getting a bit of a break. But, I'm hoping it will be the start of a yearly thing for the two of us to do together, getting a bit more adventurous and a bit further from home as the years go on.
The plan is to leave from home just before nap time on day 1 and head down the Strawberry Line to Cheddar, with him waking up just before we get to the soft play. A bit of burning off some energy, a snack, and off to the campsite for dinner, a bit more play and bed time. Day 2 will start with breakfast and off to a play park I know in Cheddar before having some lunch then heading off towards Brean just before nap time. Hopefully getting to the campsite just before he wakes, setting up camp and then heading off to the soft play at Brean Leisure Park before dinner, a bit more playing, and bed. Day 3, much of the same- breakfast, play park, lunch and setting off just before nap time towards Clevedon- again stopping at the campsite en route to set-up camp and heading to Clevedon to play at the park and have a walk along the sea front and dinner. Day 4 will start with breakfast and playing before heading back to Clevedon where my wife will meet us for more playing, lunch, and a family ride back home.
It's just a simple, flat route that will be a nice introduction to camping for my son (we're having a practice camp out in the living room this weekend before moving to the garden next weekend), and if everything goes to pot and it's a horrible experience for us both, we're not far from home.
Kit wise- I've purchased a new 2 person tent (alpkit ordos 2), a self inflating vango sleeping mat for him, with an r-value of 4, and all of my normal bikepacking kit. He'll be riding in style in his trailer (a Burley D'Lite X which he has done several back to back 20+ mile days in when we've been on holiday).
But as usual, any tips for touring with a toddler, please do let me know

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Brave! But hats off to you.

I did similar with the kids from roughly that age, but for me/them it was 4x4 events, so camping in a farmers field with basic/no facilities but as much kit as we could cram in the back of a small 4x4 alongside tool boxes and spare parts.....

Great memories and they grew up with pooing in the woods, proper camp fires, rope swings, cooking on bbqs, wading through muddy pools when the car got stuck, morning wash in the washing up bowl with cold water, etc.

Enjoy it and keep it up, maybe even more than once a year? Mine are still mithering when's the next camping/4x4 event trip and they are 17 & 20 yrs old now. At least I can leave the packing to them, just give them the list and the car is loaded ready to go when I get home from work on a friday :okay:

Jameshow

Veteran
My daughter fell asleep regularly on the back of the bike! Good idea to put interesting things in the tour, and more so as they grow up. Kids don't have the same cycling attention span as cycling mad dads (and mums!)

Top Bottom