Tern Link P9 RD upgrade: SRAM Attack custom for Tern and ESP shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leinardi

Hi all,

I'm planning to upgrade my P9 rear derailleur from the stock Neos to a SRAM X7 short cage + official Tern Shimano/Sram adapter but I'm not sure if the shifter of the P9 is compatible whit this RD.

The SRAM X7 require explicitly an ESP shifter and I have no idea if the "SRAM Attack custom for Tern" of the P9 is an ESP model.

Does anybody know if the stock P9 shifter and the SRAM X7 are compatible?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What speed cassette do you have? You might find a short cage won't handle anything above 28t.

OP
OP
leinardi

leinardi

Currently I have a SRAM PG-980 11-32T Cassette and only one chainring so the short cage shouldn't be a problem, right? In addition, the current Neos is also a short cage RD.

Do you have any idea if the SRAM Attack of my Tern is compatible with the SRAM X7?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As far as I can see the X7 is a med/long cage so I don't know where you read it was short. So it will be able to handle 32t.

As for compatibility with your shifter it should be OK as both are nine speed. The ESP is I suspect a marketing term.

Last edited:
OP
OP
leinardi

leinardi

Actually what the ESP technology does is pushing and pulling in a different way from the other systems (eg: Shimano):

SRAM’s ESP technology refers to the 1:1 actuation of the shifter, meaning the shifter pulls one inch of cable for every inch of movement in the rear derailleur. Other systems have a 1:2 actuation ratio. The 1:1 system effectively reduces cable tension in half, which means easier shifting with less effort.​

https://www.sram.com/sram/urban/technologies/esp-technology

Top Bottom