Tern Node vs Link, which should I get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BG213

Regular
After being "out of the saddle" for many years I am interested in getting back "in" but decided I need a folder to be able to bring it indoors for storage and desire to bring it onboard trains and buses for local transportation. However I am uneasy about the idea of one of those little 20"-wheeled things. First, to me, it just looks odd and weird, not a "real bike" (I know, subjective) and second I've heard they don't ride as well as a bike with larger wheels. I do intent to ride it frequently and over longer distances (over an hour journey in many cases) over the local road net which can hardly be described as smooth and free of debris. For these reasons I have gravitated towards a Tern Node for its 24" wheels and Tern's good reputation. However I do worry about taking it on buses and trains. As a backup looking at Tern's line-up the Link is the closet 20" equivalent to the Node. It is 5" narrower when folded (28 vs 33). Local buses have bike racks on the front and allow folders inside. Trains allow folders up to 32" wide (I'm sure the conductor won't notice the 1" :whistle:) but get pretty restrictive about non-folding bikes. In addition the Link has a 4" shorter peddle-to-handlebar distance (27 vs 31). I have fairly short legs (28" measured inseam by the "book method") but a video I found seems to suggest the height of the seat should be to the top of the pelvis (32" for me, link). I also want to attach some panniers and a small bag to the top of the rack in future so clearing my legs over the top is a concern for me. I'm not quite sure which way to go. I really want the Node but am worried if it will work for my situation.

The next question is whether to get the D8 or D7i models of either the Node or Link. The D8 has one more gear (8 spd 11-32 vs the D7i's 7 spd seeming 11-30) and exposed chain, derailleur and gears vs. paying a little more for the D7i which has some kind of shielded chain and a Shimano Nexus hub gear. I would imagine the later is better sealed against the environment (water, road debris) and is better if you intend to ride with street clothes (like I do) and so is worth paying extra for. Again; is this a realistic expectation? Is the D7i's drive train worth it? Links to pictures of the two from Tern's website: D8 vs D7i.

Tern seemingly sells only through their authorized dealer network. The nearest Tern dealer to me is a 2-hour journey away so I have to find a day to devote to going out there. Certainly inconvenient. Even more so if I have. They do have a Node D8 and Link D7i on display and for a test ride according to their website. Would I have to go back to them also if I need servicing? There are much closer local bike shops, but they are not Tern dealerships. Tern lists the Node D7i as on back order. I have an email notification with them when it comes back in stock. Is there any way to know how long it might take to come back in stock? I don't mind waiting weeks, but I don't want to wait all year!

Finally I intend to eventually get a shock-absorbing seat post in time given the local road conditions and am open to suggestions on what to get. Not quite sure what Tern's seatpost diameter is. Something I will have to ask when I visit the nearest dealer (hopefully next week).

Again, I'm sure the Link is a fine bike, I am just put off by the little wheels. Worry about prolonged riding on sometimes not-so-great riding surfaces. But then again, will the Node be judged "too big" a folder? Should I pay extra for the D7i? What shock-absorbing seatpost should I get? Thanks to everyone for sitting through my rambling as a I try to figure out this decision!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome:. Great you're getting back into cycling.

I use a 16" folder when in the UK with a Nexus 8 speed hub in hilly Sheffield and find it works absolutely fine for me. I'm used to riding regular road and mountain bikes here and don't find find the smaller wheels severely disadvantage me. A 24" will give better rolling of course .
A derailleur system is going to be more efficient but the hub gear is less maintenance and is not so susceptible to damage from knocks.
Buying new is good as you get a warranty but you can often pick up folders little used at bargain prices.
Look on Gumtree in your area.
Folders usually have quite chunky tyres which can be lowered in pressure to give a softer ride. I've used a suspension post and it's quite effective but I wouldn't think it gives any advantage for road use.
You should be able to get a comfortable position, remember you leg needs to be more or less straight when seated with the pedal at six o'clock.
Good luck.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've heard they don't ride as well as a bike with larger wheels.

It's not that they don't ride as well, it's that they ride differently. The small wheels mean it's really maneuverable and responsive, as mentioned in the post above really, in town they are great fun to ride. Longer distance wise, then you may need to spend a little time making it more comfy for you. There are plenty of folk on here who ride their Bromptons on amazingly long rides with seemingly no problems. If I was contemplating longer rides on my Tern, then I would be looking at changing the contact points: Saddle, Pedals and grips, but that's me and I know what makes me comfortable on a bike. As is, I use it daily for commuting and general errand bike, though generally never more than 30 minutes at a time.

Is the D7i's drive train worth it?

In a nutshell, yes. From not only my own experiences, but those of workmates who also own Terns, exposed drivetrains need a fair bit of love and fettling to keep them working flawlessly. On a 20 inch folder they are so much nearer to the ground and are exposed to all kinds of crud and filth from the road, as well as odd knocks from street furniture. I would always be looking at internal gearing on any small wheeled bike in order to keep the maintenance down.

some kind of shielded chain

If it's a normal chainguard, then that's fine, if it's that silly plastic tube that encases the chain all around, then bin it, better yet, burn it, then bin it. The plastic tube is great for catching water and letting your chain sit in a wet bath of crud and dying a fast painful death, just get rid and develop a good chain cleaning regime, my favourite is the oily rag method. Just as long as the chainset has a chain guard then you'll be fine to ride in normal clothes.

Would I have to go back to them also if I need servicing

I'd only worry about returning it for servicing if it affects the warranty. Otherwise Tern's are just like normal bikes, just smaller. They use normal V Brakes, cup and cone hubs, normal chains etc, in other words, nothing a competent home mechanic or local bike shop couldn't maintain.

Last couple of points, I'm not sure if this is still a thing, but the magnets on mine that hold it together when folded, are quite weak. You used to be able to get uprated magnets that actually hold it much better together in its folded position. Worth looking into possibly. Another point, the tires, I had no end of issues with Schwalbe Big Apple tires, really thin puncture prone things. I've been using 35mm Schwalbe Kojaks for years now, they make the bike feel much faster and better handling.

OP
OP
B

BG213

Regular
If I was contemplating longer rides on my Tern, then I would be looking at changing the contact points: Saddle, Pedals and grips, but that's me and I know what makes me comfortable on a bike.

I was thinking of changing the saddle to a Brooks Flyer: https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/flyer.html

Suggestions on different pedals and grips is welcome. The Terns come with palm rest grips if you look at the pictures on the website: https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/tech/335271#162554

Just as long as the chainset has a chain guard then you'll be fine to ride in normal clothes.

Good to know. Based on the picture linked below, would you say this has a chainguard? If not I supposed that is an easy after-market part to source and put on?
https://www.ternbicycles.com/sites/...15/tech-freight-rack_0.jpg.webp?itok=YGYvVzXD

Last couple of points, I'm not sure if this is still a thing, but the magnets on mine that hold it together when folded, are quite weak. You used to be able to get uprated magnets that actually hold it much better together in its folded position. Worth looking into possibly. Another point, the tires, I had no end of issues with Schwalbe Big Apple tires, really thin puncture prone things. I've been using 35mm Schwalbe Kojaks for years now, they make the bike feel much faster and better handling.

Excellent to know, thanks.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I was thinking of changing the saddle to a Brooks Flyer: https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/flyer.html

Suggestions on different pedals and grips is welcome. The Terns come with palm rest grips if you look at the pictures on the website: https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/tech/335271#162554

Sounds like a plan with the Brooks. The stock grips look fine, if you did fancy changing them, I use Ergon grips on my Mountain bike because they do a large circumference grip which I find much more comfortable for long days in the saddle. They have some useful info on their website about fit which may help and they also recommend measuring your hand size to find the ideal diameter. Like I say though I've not bothered on my Tern because I only use it for shorter journeys.

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product?a=griffe

Good to know. Based on the picture linked below, would you say this has a chainguard?

Yep that's a chainguard.

The chain protector tube thingy I mentioned is pictured below, it comes as stock on some bikes including mine, I ripped it of and soon as I took delivery of my bike.

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 18.15.54.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Before you start swapping out all the contact points I should try the standard set up for a while.
Brooks saddles are a bit Marmite, you with get on with them or you don't, so I should see how it goes with the supplied item before splurging 160 notes on one. I'm going to pick one up tomorrow for a fiver, one of the local parts guys has one and knows I like them. Shame you're not nearer or I could send you to try. I've already got a Swallow and love it, but they're not for everyone.
Any saddle is going to take some getting used to if you have ridden a bike for some time.

Jameshow

Veteran
Before you start swapping out all the contact points I should try the standard set up for a while.
Brooks saddles are a bit Marmite, you with get on with them or you don't, so I should see how it goes with the supplied item before splurging 160 notes on one. I'm going to pick one up tomorrow for a fiver, one of the local parts guys has one and knows I like them. Shame you're not nearer or I could send you to try. I've already got a Swallow and love it, but they're not for everyone.
Any saddle is going to take some getting used to if you have ridden a bike for some time.

Not all Brookes saddles are equal!

I have two one is fantastic, the other is harder than a spa saddle!

I'd suggest getting pre-owned one to see if you like them.

Top Bottom